• In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

New Kid on the Book Block

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cherrybear13
Getting Comfortable

New Kid on the Book Block

Unread post

Hi, I'm Nicki. I love to read mostly fiction books, especially ones that are either about to be movies or were recently made into a movie. I love comparing the movies to the books, because the book is always 1000 times better. Here in rainey, snowey Colorado we have a lot of days that permit reading. I am too old school to buy an eReader of any sort, even though they are cool. :D And thats me!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: New Kid on the Book Block

Unread post

Too old to buy an eReader? Why is that? I didn't know they stop working for people over a certain age. LOL

I love watching movies that are based on books too. And I definitely agree that the book is almost always better than the movie. The only exception I've found is Wizard of Oz.

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :)
Oriard79
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Nicki:

You said hello to me and I sent a message of reply, but I think I sent it to myself - how silly! I just wanted to say hello back. I also really like the fact that you mentioned comparing books with movies - I really like doing that too. It's particularly interesting to compare the images I generated in my mind to the ones provided by a director. But I admit that sometimes I see the movie before reading the book and that is kind've interesting too.

Melissa
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I agree with Melissa. When we read a book we are forced to image what people, places and scenes look like. So when the movie comes out it is fascinating to see how our interpretation of the book compares to the movie.
Cherrybear13
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Chris, I'm not too old age wise for eReaders... just love a hardcopy book. Silly me. =)

I know how much my friends and boyfriend hate seeing movies, such as Harry Potter or any Nicholas Sparks books that were made into movies, with me because I edit them throught out the whole thing.

Speaking of Wizard of Oz... but not quite I love the book Wicked. I also got the see the musical, and it was fantastic. So the comparison is always fun! =)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I own Wicked but haven't yet read it. I guess I should give it a go.
Oriard79
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I saw Wicked the Musical, but it really wasn't my thing.
chancew1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I always try and read a book before seeing the movie. Isn't it great on the rare times the film doesn't disappoint? Sometimes the film will show some aspect of the book that I didn't notice, and that's cool.
Later,
Bill

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
My Blog, Things Are Not Going to Turn Out Well
http://billchance.org
Cherrybear13
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oriard79 wrote:I saw Wicked the Musical, but it really wasn't my thing.
A lot of people I have talked to didn't exactly love the musical. The book itself was a little hard for me to stay into at times. It personally changed my whole view of The Wizard of Oz. I think that was the intention of the book. =)

I love that books captivate my emotionals and feelings much more than movies. Since I have to imagine the character myself, its easier to connect to them or feel for them. It's always made me laugh how much more devistated I am at losing a character in a book than I am during a movie.
chancew1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I think that the fact that reading a book requires so much effort on the part of the reader increases your involvement. Also, your active imagination is needed in a book. A film (or a play) is basically a passive experience, whereas reading is an active one.
Later,
Bill

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
My Blog, Things Are Not Going to Turn Out Well
http://billchance.org

Return to “Everything Else”