• In total there are 65 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Why don't scientists fear hell?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Why don't scientists fear hell?

Unread post

This video says it well.

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: What about such and such scientist? They were religious!

Unread post

the more you know, the less reason to fear. Lightning is not Zeus's personal attack on your neighborhood. it's just ionized atoms.

That creaking sound is not a monster in your closet, it's a loose shutter.

magic curses cannot harm you, even if they are issued by a god. You aren't going to hell, ask questions and learn.

Free yourself.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I haven't watched the video but Isaac Newton was highly religious. Many learned men were religious. Most intellectuals of the 17th and 18th centuries were very religious. Intelligence can be attributed to people who are superstitious just as it is to people who can't dance (aren't they smart enough to know how to dance?). Superstition is emotion, fear, cultural brainwashing, social pressure (injustice),... you name it. It doesn't have any relevance on recognizing someone as a "scientist" or "intelligent". That's akin to saying that anyone who can't dance is ignorant and stopping right there. They're just plain ignorant. This blanket type broadcast labeling is dangerous.

Everyone should know there is no god. It's going to be a slow process but I'm sure it will come about one day. It's a cultural and power seeking engineering scheme that's so ingrained in us that it'll take years to undo. I won't be alive to see god replaced by personal virtue and the achievement of mankind - something infinitely more awe-inspiring than the dream of the achievements of an imaginary all-powerful being. I have faith, though. Like all men who realize truth will be inevitably found, I believe one day the shackles will fall. That's my "faith". The faith of us. Not the faith of our fears and of deceit.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

This is one of the silliest arguments I have ever heard. Newton was a great scientist and Newton believed in God so it must be true! A few hundred years ago we didn't even know about the germ theory of disease and the age of the earth was based on the Bible. We relied on supernatural explanations for what was not known. But as science fills in our gaps of knowledge, superstition is less and less relevant to our lives. That's a good video because it gives us a historical perspective.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

bump. good video.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Why don't scientists fear hell?

Unread post

Wow... I really liked that video... Thanks Johnson!!!

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Why don't scientists fear hell?

Unread post

Here's a good supplemental, which addresses the first part of the "why don't scientists fear hell" video, where he discusses lists of scientists who doubt evolution in favor of creationism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty1Bo6Gm ... ded#at=257

I already posted this once in the yes. evolution thread, but it has specific relevance here as well.

http://www.booktalk.org/yes-evolution-t8939-240.html
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”