• In total there are 29 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Hello from Singapore!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
chongjasmine
Getting Comfortable
Singapore

Hello from Singapore!

Unread post

Hi, I am chongjasmine from Singapore, and I love to read.
I especially love to read fantasy books.
My favourite series is the wheel of time series.
And I am currently reading a song of ice and fire.
I also like to read detective novels, like those from Conan doyle.'
Nice to meet you all!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Hello from Singapore!

Unread post

Nice to meet you, Chongjasmine,

Fantasy is my favorite genre too.

Welcome to the community! :-)
chongjasmine
Getting Comfortable
Singapore

Unread post

Thanks for your welcome!
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Hello Jasmine,

I also like fantasy. You might like to sample some of Guy Gavriel Kay's books, such as "Sailing to Sarantium." They are really more like historical fiction but they use a light sprinking of the supernatural to help achieve a fantasy vibe. I avidly read both "Ice and Fire" and "Wheel of Time," but I must say both left me feeling unfulfilled. Interesting worlds and nice setups, but they didn't amount to much in the end. (Don't get me started on Patrick Rothfuss).

I much prefer Lord of the Rings, probably my favorite book (John LeCarre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" might be tied), and J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter did a really good job of tying things together in the end.

There are some surprisingly good YA (Young Adult) series out there. I would strongly recommend Nicholson's "Wind on Fire" series to anyone, though the third one doesn't quite live up to the promise of the first two, and of course "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman (I understand it goes by "Northern Lights" outside America). Skip the other two, the Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass, unless, like me, you just want to see how the story turns out.

Return to “Everything Else”