• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Atheism: The Case Against God - by George Smith

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Atheism: The Case Against God - by George Smith

Unread post

This is one of my favorite books and a few of you have expressed an interest in reading it in the future. Perhaps we can discuss this book here. I'm reading it for the 3rd time and it gets better and better, so please jump in and get involved if you so desire.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Atheism: The Case Against God - by George Smith

Unread post

Chris,I bought this book today. I really want to read it. It looks so interesting. I won't have much time this month to put into it. It will be a slow project, especially with the other books I'm reading. But I would love to discuss it here as I go along. I anticipate learning a lot from this book.Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Cheryl:Ok then. You call the shots. Would you like to read it from front to back nice and slowly, or possibly dance around from Chapter to Chapter? I will follow your lead. I've read this book once before, so I am more than happy to do as you like.Maybe pick a Chapter that sounds good and we can slowly read it together and discuss it. Whatever you like! You're going to love this book Cheryl.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Chris,I know that you have referred to this book as the "Bible of atheists." I find that amusing. My approach to this book isn't so much just to read it through like with most others, it's to really understand the whole philosophy. So I wouldn't think it necessary to read it from beginning to end. We could probably skip around and discuss more interesting or profound parts first as long as we eventually work our way through all the material. However, since you're much more familiar with the contents of the book and the subject itself I'll rely on you to suggest where we begin. If it makes no difference then I suppose I'll just start at the beginning. Any suggestions?Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Cheryl:Ok, I'll think of a good chapter to start with and we'll beging right away!Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Ok! Get thinking. I'm waiting!Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Cheryl:After reviewing this book again and thinking about how we should tackle it I have concluded that it might be most effective to start at the beginning. The most common errors I see made by theists when debating with an atheist is in basic terminology. Smith wisely begins this book with a thorough explanation of what an "athiest" is is not. He then progresses through a definition of "God."Although we could have plenty of fun and derive much benefit by reading the chapters of this book in random order, I now think it might be smart to read it front to back. At least lets start that way/ It appears that early chapters lay the foundation for the later chapters.I'm going to start reading from the "Introduction," and then proceed through each consecutive chapter. Are you ok with this? We can take our time. No need to set deadlines. I'm reading about 6 books concurrently so I don't need the pressure either. Let me know what you think.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Chris,That sounds perfect. I'm very interested in reading this book and I'm looking forward to it. I'll start reading it soon and then I'll let you know when I'm finished with the introduction.Cheryl
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Would we be able to read this as one of our books of the month?I'd be interested in reading it, but I have a fairly hefty stack of books to read in the meantime between our readings.... This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Zach,If the group wanted to read this as one of books of the month I suppose we could, but I would rather not. I am so busy right now with work and settling into my new place that I have yet to finish an entire book. I still get a lot out of them and read as much as possible, but this book by George Smith is one that I really want to read through and comprehend. I suppose we could start it together as a group and then I could finish it at my own pace. But I prefer the idea of reading it slowly and discussing it as we go.Cheryl

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”