• In total there are 40 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Atheists' Billboard Causes Controversy

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Squelch
Experienced

Re: Atheists' Billboard Causes Controversy

Unread post

There's one big problem with the ads: they break the first and most important rule of advertising - don't give your competitors air time. The more you talk about your competitors, even if you're slating them, the more exposure they get and the more sales they make.

To sell your own product (sorry to refer to atheism as a "product", I hope you know what I mean here), advertise its positive aspects. Atheism has so much to offer people as individuals and society as a whole, and even religions, that surely it's a shame not to say how great it is?
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

So glad to meet a like thinker!
Squelch
Experienced

Unread post

Well I'm delighted to meet you too. Whether and what you think, I will look forward to finding out...
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Oh dear I hope I think! at least my brain seems sometimes occupied. I meant a like thinker in being atheist!
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I think the billboards are great. Considering how much of a voice Christians and other theists have in the national discourse, it's cool having a billboard saying what I believe. It's probably similar to the way homosexuals feel about a Gay Pride parade.

And I think a billboard like that helps the atheist cause. It's an ego boost for diehard atheists like myself. It can nudge people who are uncertain about their beliefs in an atheist direction, or make people who go to church due to social pressure (closet atheists) less likely to do so. Very religious people will be offended, but such people won't become atheists anyway.

Also, there's an important subtext behind the billboard: that it's acceptable for atheists to proudly proclaim their fundamental belief: that religion consists of a bunch of myths. In the original poster's video, some of the interviewees were upset that atheists dare to express their sincere opinions. However, that's part of the point: when advocating for a cause, you can't act as though you're embarrassed by it. It would be nice if the national discourse had room for people who challenged religion.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Julien, I started a thread about coming out as an atheist. I think it is important for us to be free to identify ourselves as such without having public censure. I am becoming increasingly offended that one's faith is a reason to admire/respect and honor that person. Just check your local obituaries and you will see what I mean. I also agree that people will identify themselves as sharing your atheistic viewpoint if they know you hold it.
Squelch
Experienced

Unread post

I think it is important for us to be free to identify ourselves as such without having public censure.
I'm not sure I follow you. As far as I know it's not illegal to declare oneself an atheist in public. It might be a little unfashionable in some places but I don't think anyone would be able to step you. Isn't it protected speech?
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

ever hear of "shunning"
Squelch
Experienced

Unread post

ever hear of "shunning"
Yes, of course. I've been rejected by various groups for a wide variety of reasons: for my chosen profession, for how I dress, how I speak and what I believe on a variety of subjects.

It doesn't really bother me though because there are plenty of people who like me very well indeed. I'm not in any hurry to join a group who don't like me.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Still, it bothers me that so many people are hostile to atheists, even though nobody in my social circle minds and many are atheists themselves. When atheists speak out, it makes it easier for the others in the long term, even if some theists are pissed off.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”