• In total there are 43 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

author Chuck Palahniuk

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
the hive queen

author Chuck Palahniuk

Unread post

I may be too late for the third quarter book club suggestion, but I'll throw it out there. I am very interested in reading something by Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote "Fight Club". I have found suggestions for a couple of his best sellers: Choke and Survivor. He also has a series of short stories called "Stranger than Fiction", that has been highly recommended. I'd be open to anything other than the famed "Fight Club" because I've seen the movie so many times.Any thoughts? "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching." -- Keller Williams
tomiichi

Re: author Chuck Palahniuk

Unread post

I am really interested in reading one of his books too. I really want to read Survivor or Choke, so either of these I would thoroughly enjoy!tomiichi
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

"Survivor" doesn't interest me all that much, and I already have a copy of "Choke" that I've started once, but I'd be interested in picking up Palahnuik's "Lullaby".
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

I read Stranger Than Fiction and it is really good. Great writing. Fight Club is one of my favorite all time movies and I have been meaning to read the book for a while. A fan of Chuck Palahniuk once told me i HAD to read Fight Club because it was WAY better than the movie. So having seen the movie is not a very good reason to not read the book, it seems like it is all the more reason to read the book. Books are almost always better than the movies, except Elmore Leonard Any ways, I would definitely participate in any Palahniuk reading and would like to see one of his books as a reading on BookTalk. His latest novel, Haunted, doesn't look too interesting though.
Mike Philbin

Unread post

Chuck has a bit of an obsession-with-miscellany style of writing that can be a little intrusive. Of the four or five Chuck novels that I've read, CHOKE pulls off this delicate miscellany/story balancing act most convincingly. I've found that all Chuck novels tend to lose their narrative drive towards the end and the majority of his books start really well, ascend to some socio-political crescendo then peter out over the last few chapters. Sometimes I wish Chuck's editors would grow a pair and tell this great writer that 'your conclusion here was really weak/irrelevant'. It's not as beautifully anecdotal a style as, say, Haruki Murakami - a great writer for all the right reasons. home blog lj chimericana
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Quote:I've found that all Chuck novels tend to lose their narrative drive towards the end and the majority of his books start really well, ascend to some socio-political crescendo then peter out over the last few chapters. Sometimes I wish Chuck's editors would grow a pair and tell this great writer that 'your conclusion here was really weak/irrelevant'.I felt this way about most of Vonnegut's books. At least half, if not most, always seem to petter out into randomness miscelany after that crescendo has been reached earlier in the story.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”