• In total there are 44 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

DARK CANVAS

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Flyboy
Getting Comfortable

DARK CANVAS

Unread post

I'd like to suggest a new novel. It's a romantic thriller I've read by a new author, Jody Summers. I don't know that I'd say it was the deepest book in the world but it's a dang fun read.
If you're looking for a good summer "get away" novel, Dark Canvas works nicely.

:artist:

Here's the back cover as shown on Amazon:

It seems innocent enough at first, thought Kira McGovern-mixing her dead mother's ashes with paint to create a tribute painting. What a way to personalize and immortalize her mom's memory! The idea so ensnares her that she forms a new business, Canvas of Life, to do just that for others. As she begins with her first clients, something inexplicable occurs: Kira experiences segments of the dead person's life. In dreams and visions she begins to receive images, some are gratifying, some unpleasant and some of them are downright deadly.

Sean Easton is a Kansas farm boy with a special talent he is just beginning to understand. His father, too, has recently died, but something sinister still lingers on the farm. When he takes his father's ashes to Kira as a pretense to meet her, he not only falls in love but makes some startling discoveries about his own life as well, and as Kira begins to paint with Sean's father's ashes the real terror begins .

In Dark Canvas, join Kira and Sean as they realize they must quickly find the meaning and the source of her dreams and visions before both their love and their lives are destroyed.

If you want to check it out Jody's website is www.jodysummersbooks.com
Somewhere between Conspiracy and Naivety lies the truth
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello, Flyboy
I'd like to suggest a new novel. It's a romantic thriller I've read by a new author, Jody Summers. I don't know that I'd say it was the deepest book in the world but it's a dang fun read.
If you're looking for a good summer "get away" novel, Dark Canvas works nicely.
I have to pay attention to my phrasing , we always say that there are no rules...

One important element for our fiction suggestions is whether it will be a good basis for a detailed discussion.

A suggestion for a relaxing read (and we also enjoy those) might be made rather in the "additional fiction books " forum.
Ophelia.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I found a copy of Ernest Becker's _Denial of Death_ yesterday, and in looking up Becker while waiting for BookTalk to load found this:

"Ashes to ashes"
http://groups.google.com/group/ernest-b ... 0040?hl=en#

our son's (d. 1998) and my sister-in-law's (d.
2002) ashes are in the original unopened containers in the boxes they came in
sitting in the cabinetry under our kitchen sink. Neither of us have spoken
about what else we want to do with their ashes, so they sit there year after year
unspoken of. . . .

. . . .

I'd like to have my ashes molded into little clappers for bicycle bells. I'd
contribute to safety, happy ringing, and "enjoy" one of my favorite places
to be: on a bike, enjoying the ride without polluting."

Clearly these people are trying to make good use of themselves :)

Dark Canvas by Jody Summers
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Canvas-Jody- ... 0595454194

Flyboy has given Amazon's Product Description.

Such synchronicity. A heart of darkness this way comes. Would you care to hint at, Flyboy, in non-spoiler general terms, the sinister source?

Tom
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

What the hell.... I'm lost :eek:

What's going on here?
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

El Presidente, do not be alarmed. I shall explain. Flyboy suggested we read Dark Canvas. (I should point out that perhaps except for myself, other members of BookTalk seem to have a book they have authored and would like to promote but are too modest to do so directly. Life is full of illusions.) Ophelia, a moderator of great experience and who tries to keeps a neat house, suggests that the proposal is in the wrong forum (I think).

Dark Canvas is apparently a work of occult fiction with the ghoulish hook that one of the characters paints picture of the deceased with their own ashes. I had the odd experience of reading about a practical use for human cremains while waited for this thread to load (BookTalk has been intermittent today), and death and sinisterness melded in my permeable mind with Heart of Darkness discussion.

Now you understand all?

Tom
Flyboy
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well, to keep it general in this case is tricky but suffice it to say that this book gravitates more towards the Dean Koontz style and rather than using the word occult, I think I'd say we are dealing with more of the paranormal or supernatural here.

Does that answer your question Thomas?

:2guns: On a side note does it bother anyone else that the word 'terrorism' is misspelled in that poll on the right or is it just the anal portion of my personality trying to exert itself? :cry: :arrow:
Somewhere between Conspiracy and Naivety lies the truth
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Oh yes, Flyboy. The Dean Koontz allusion is most helpful. Maybe something like Odd Thomas who sees and helps the dead.

Misspellings can be endearing, Flyboy. I am tolerant of misspellings as I see them as disclosing, Freudian slips. Sometimes persons neatly omit a whole quote to hide a misspelling. Maybe I'm just not concerned enough with public appearance.

Tom
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

On a side note does it bother anyone else that the word 'terrorism' is misspelled in that poll on the right or is it just the anal portion of my personality trying to exert itself?

At Booktalk spelling mistales are so few and far between that for a teacher it looks like you've ended up on a trip to another planet, and you have to remind yourself that you'll need to go back to the real world.
(For those of you who do not have to decypher the real world for a living... I hope you appreciate your good fortune).:smile:

The spelling mistakes I see here are mine usually, and that's because I didn't check my typing, so I assume that's also the case for another person.

In the case of "terrorism", I would normally have corrected this discreetely, but for the moment I don't know how to access this poll.
Now that you have brought this to my attention, I'll need to find out about the length of time a poll runs, this one seems to have been running for a very long time.

OK, Chris tells me that the current poll will vanish from sight if someone creates a new poll.
Ophelia.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

At Booktalk spelling mistales are so few and far between.. . . . .
:)

Hmmm. Is this a case for Sigmund or is it because k and l are next to each other on the keyboard?

Tom
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Let's call it my creation of the day! :D
Ophelia.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”