• In total there are 10 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Do you favor hate crimes legislation?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
CWT36
Sophomore

Unread post

Keep in mind that sentencing penalties, like taxes, are sometimes used to try to alter social behavior. The intent of placing harsher penalties for crimes against particular groups isn't just to reflect the damage of that particular crime, but also to bring light to the underlying social behavior that may be the root cause of the crime.

Society works better if police officers are given a higher degree of respect than regular citizens, so crimes against police officers hold stiffer penalties. If certain groups in society are routinely the subjects of prejudice, raising the penalties for crimes against those groups draws attention to the underlying prejudice.

Whether it is effective or not I don't know. But like imposing sin taxes on behavior society frowns upon, the intent of defining hate crimes is to reduce the overall prejudice to particular groups.
-Colin

"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." -Mark Twain
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

CWT,
Yes, I see your point about influencing society.

So the message to society is "don't shoot cops or we will levy additional penalties." I wonder to what degree that additional penalty for killing a police officer has impacted deaths of police officers. I'm going to guess not much...but it's only a guess.
If the general concensus is that the death penalty itself doesn't reduce capital crime, I'd be hard pressed to believe that incremental penalty for shooting a cop has a meaningful effect on the criminal mind.

If it can be shown that hate crime legislation has a quantafiable impact / meaningful measureable effect on reducing assaults, rape, murder, robberies, et al., then I can be convinced. Short of that, I have no use for using legislation to "send messages."

I believe laws should have a direct impact and be equally applied to all citizens. Let the sentencing guidelines for all crimes fit the action and the result ...not the motivation / presumed intent.

Bart
CWT36
Sophomore

Unread post

Bart wrote: So the message to society is "don't shoot cops or we will levy additional penalties." I wonder to what degree that additional penalty for killing a police officer has impacted deaths of police officers. I'm going to guess not much...but it's only a guess.
If the general concensus is that the death penalty itself doesn't reduce capital crime, I'd be hard pressed to believe that incremental penalty for shooting a cop has a meaningful effect on the criminal mind.
I can't speak to the effectiveness of hate crimes. I did some quick searches and didn't find any studies, although I'm sure there are some.

I have done quite a bit of reading on the death penalty. While there are mixed opinions, the studies are trending more-and-more towards it being no more of a deterrent than life imprisonment. My gut tells me that the heavier sentencing on hate crimes would have a positive effect on deterrence. But then again, my gut told me to have a big bowl of ice cream and right now I have a belly ache. :weep:
-Colin

"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." -Mark Twain
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

My gut tells me that the heavier sentencing on hate crimes would have a positive effect on deterrence. But then again, my gut told me to have a big bowl of ice cream and right now I have a belly ache.
Heheheh. Now I'm hungry.
Well, I'll wait for the results of impartial studies. Till then, I'll remain skeptical of its impact, and against message sending and favored treatment.

OK...frozen yogurt for me.. dieting :cry:

Nite!

Bart
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Bart wrote: BTW, Kevin what's your position on morbidly obese people being protected by hate crime legislation?
How about "little people"?
The physically challenged?
Old people?
Atheists?
Clergy?
Abortion providers?
Red haired people?

Should a perpetrator who holds up the jewelry store of an asian and calls him a racial epithet, be penalize more than the robber who holds up the jewelry store of a black person who is not racially insulted?

Where does it stop, and who is the aribitor of who should and should not be a special class of victim?
Federal hate crimes legislation was first passed in 1969 to extend protections (if that's what such laws do) to anyone who might be a victim of violent crime due to race, color, religion, or national origin. That is the precedent to the current attempt (sure to pass the Senate and be signed by the President) to also include anyone who might be a victim due to sexual orientation, gender, or disability. In a sense, it would seem unfair not to pass this legislation--since gays, for example, are as needing of protection as is a racial minority--but only because the ball was got rolling 40 years ago. This is an example of slippery slope; there is a question of how to draw the line on protected groups, as Bart says.

A reason to prosecute the violent crime and not the thought behind it was brought up by the Washingotn Post columnist Richard Cohen. Cohen worries about giving a platform to sick people who are playing to their audience of like-minded people. Try these people as the common criminals they are to deprive them of their grandstand. You can see if you agree with any of Cohnen's thinking. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02222.html
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Hate Crimes

Unread post

Tulsa World (Oklahoma)

September 4, 2009 Friday
Final Edition
People of moral conviction, however, should oppose the hatred of people for any reason. But hate-crimes legislation doesn't stop hatred. Instead, it creates a special class of victims victims whose perpetrators receive more severe punishment for the very same physical or verbal acts that would not be as harshly punished if the crime were committed against someone who was not part of the special class. Let me give you one of many possible examples: An elderly African-American grandmother is severely beaten by a person of the same race who hates her activism against the area drug dealers. No hate crime, no special (more severe) punishment. Another elderly African-American grandmother is severely beaten by a white perpetrator who targets her because of her race. This perpetrator may have done exactly the same physical damage to the victim but would face substantially harsher punishment. No one has ever explained to me how these victims are equally protected from these perpetrators as required by our U.S. Constitution. Furthermore, many conservatives are very concerned about the proposed expansion of hate crimes legislation to include sexual orientation. When expanded, these laws have been used in other nations to criminally prosecute individuals for speaking out against homosexual lifestyles. This proposed expansion could lead to pastors being prosecuted for biblically explaining why he or she opposes homosexual behavior. It should be understood that to many who want this law, the Bible contains "hate speech" and they would be quite satisfied with the prosecution of a pastor. Finally, some would argue that hate-crime legislation is necessary in the United States because of what occurred in World War II Germany when hate was left unchecked. To place the frequency of these crimes in our country in context, you need to know the levels of reported hate crimes here. In 2007 (the last year published), of 1.5 million violent crimes reported to the FBI by 2,025 law enforcement agencies nationwide, there were 8,999 hate crimes reported (slightly over 0.5 percent) and, of those, 1,460 (less than 0.1 percent) related to sexual orientation. As can be seen, these statistics do not reflect the level of unchecked hate that history recorded in Nazi Germany a hate that was actually sanctioned and encouraged by its government. So, for all of the above reasons, most conservatives do not support hate-crimes laws or the proposed expansion of them. James A. Williamson, of Tulsa, is an attorney and former Oklahoma state senator.

States News Service

October 16, 2009 Friday

HATE CRIMES LEGISLATION REFLECTS OUR NATIONAL IDEALS

BYLINE: States News Service

LENGTH: 658 words

DATELINE: WASHINGTON

Congress recently reached agreement on landmark legislation that brings our nation closer to living up to its ideals.

Senate and House negotiators included the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010. The act, which I helped shape as the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, will soon become law.

The hate crimes language included in the act has passed both houses of Congress in the past. Existing law gives federal officials jurisdiction over crimes of violence which are committed because of a person's race, color, religion, and national origin. The new language adds gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability and membership in the military.

The legislation is named after two Americans slain in hate crimes in 1998. Matthew Shepard was a University of Wyoming student beaten and left to die because he was gay. James Byrd Jr. was a Texas father of three dragged behind a pickup truck and killed because he was African-American.

These horrible crimes were committed just months apart more than a decade ago. And unfortunately, in the years since, violent crime motivated by bias and hatred have continued to bedevil us. Between 1998 and 2007, the most recent year for which statistics are available, more than 77,000 hate crimes were committed, the FBI reports. And crimes motivated by sexual orientation bias are the fastest growing class of hate crimes.

The bill would allow federal officials to step in only when local and state officials cannot or will not prosecute such cases. And it offers a number of forms of support to state and local officials seeking to prosecute hate crimes.

This legislation is an important victory for those who seek to live up to our national ideal of a nation free from the threat of violence because of one's identity. Unfortunately, some have attempted to block this legislation, generally making two criticisms.

The first is to claim that the legislation will outlaw certain political or religious views or speech, or prosecute "thought crimes." This is simply wrong. The law is carefully tailored to punish only violent acts, not thoughts or speech. In fact, the bill specifies that none of its provisions "shall be construed or applied in a manner that infringes on any rights under the first amendment to the Constitution of the United States."

The second objection is to the inclusion of the hate crimes measure in the National Defense Authorization Act, which sets policy for the Defense Department. Some members of Congress say the hate crimes bill is unrelated to this important defense legislation.

I believe this legislation is indeed related to our national defense. First, we ensure in the legislation that members of the military are protected from hate-motivated attacks based on their military status. Second, freedom from violence motivated by hate is one of the things our men and women in uniform fight for every day. Such violent crimes motivated by hate constitute a form of domestic terror.
These are opposing views, however, a common theme does emerge from both. The theme being, the thought behind the crime. The bill is written specifically not to infringe on First Amendment rights, but the thought behind these crimes will be considered by a court. I am outraged about murders and crimes committed against any minority group, simply because of the motivation of hate. However, the perpetrators in both the Matthew Shepard murder and the James Byrd Jr. murder were all charged and punished accordingly.

However, would these murders have taken place had the victims been other than whom they were, a gay man, and a black man? I think the answer would be no. The problem becomes, what additional punishment will be attached to these crimes? And, how will the perpetrators thoughts, or motivations be weighed in the decisions by the court.

The motivation behind both of these crimes was certainly hate, and very clearly so. I do think it is possible to separate the heinous motivation, and the heinous crime in both the Shepard and the Byrd cases. And while separate, both the motivation and the crime could perceivably receive two separate charges and two separate punishments. The punishment of murder would not be greater in whole, the punishment would have two components. If a clear hate crime motivation can be proved, yes, I believe the motivation should be given a punishment separate from the crime.
Bart
Devoted Member

Unread post

:hmm:
Since I support capital punishment for particularly heinous acts of premeditated murder, maybe they could electrocute or gas regular murderers once, and hate crime murderers twice. :whistle:
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Bart wrote:Why not just add hate crime penalties for EVERY criminal act? Then we can avoid this confusion, eliminate mindreading by the courts, protect the "community" of all possible groups while simultaneously protecting the individual, and give equal protection under the law to all?

i'm being a little fascitious of course, but only to point out how far this slippery slope can go.
You're being a lot facetious, actually... and if a person is robbed simply because he is black then yes, it may be a hate crime. If every crime was actually hate motivated then we might as well just give up... there would be no point in a legal system; everyone hates everyone; and willing to act out that hate. No, I find the argument that every crime is a potential hate crime to be too weak a one for the purposes of parody. If, however, it happened to be the case that whenever, say, a black was attacked by a white Southener it was regarded as being, definitionally, a hate crime then there would actually be reason to consider your doomsday scenario. We just aren't at that point.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Hate Crimes

Unread post

What is interesting about the Shepard case and the Byrd case, the two cases this Act is named after, is the murderers in the Shepard case received a life sentence, while in the Byrd case, the perpetrators received the death penalty. Federal hate crime legislation has been in effect since the 60’s in regards to those killings due to racial motivation. When the two cases are compared, it is clear, that the defendants in the Byrd case received a much greater sentence, than those in the Shepard case, even though the crimes were similar. All lives being equal, why should a gay man’s killer receive a lighter sentence in a hate motivated murder, while the death penalty is attached to those killings motivated by racial hate? It is clear that The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Federal Hate Crime Prevention Act is an attempt to acknowledge that all persons belonging to a minority group are subject to potential hate crimes. The Act extends the current legislation to include gender, sexual orientation, persons in the military, and the disabled.

Another factor to consider is the brutality of these crimes and the element of torture. It is atypical for the average robbery/murder scenario to turn into a brutal torturing free for all.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Hate Crimes

Unread post

I believe this legislation is indeed related to our national defense. First, we ensure in the legislation that members of the military are protected from hate-motivated attacks based on their military status. Second, freedom from violence motivated by hate is one of the things our men and women in uniform fight for every day. Such violent crimes motivated by hate constitute a form of domestic terror.
Thanks, Suzanne, for posting the articles. I quoted this section just because it had me scratchimg my head. Military status would designate a protected group? Not that I have seen.

My wife made a good point in talking about this with me. She thinks the value of these laws is not that they jack up penalties, but that they allow the federal government to intervene if states are not prosecuting crimes properly. Now to some, especially conservatives, this is a violation of the principle of federalism. But if you look back at the era in which hate crimes laws were first made, you can see the reason why there was thought to be a need for them. 1969 was not long after the era of civil rights struggles in which some states indeed did not prosecute crimes against blacks to the fullest extent or even to any extent. The federal government needed to be able to take over in such cases.

The question now might be whether we still need to have this check on the states' conduct in these judicial matters. Maybe we do; at least, it seems wise to have the option.

This is not the controversial part, though, obviously. What rankles some people is the additional jail time for hate crimes. The Matthew Shepherd Act doesn't, by the way, speak about the additional sentence length. The mandate for that was contained in previously passed legislation. (Sidebar: isn't it weird that the Shepherd Act is included in the Defense Approppriations Bill? This shows the ways of Washington, where if you want to vote for the F-22 fighter plane, you have to go along with a totally unrelated addition to the law.)

Maybe the bottom line here goes as Bart indicated. If stigmatizing some crimes as hate crimes, and increasing the penalties for them, reduces this type of crime and with it the level of irrational hatred in our society, they could be worthwhile. But we just don't know whether that will be the case. And if such laws aren't effective, it's not as if nothing is lost. There are risks to using the law to influence the thoughts of citizens.

Return to “Current Events & History”