• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Forever

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Forever

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Things of this nature are just not my can of beer.
that's a coincidence i was just heading to the fridge :D green bottle, red star mmmm
President Camacho wrote:What attracts you to this particular dialogue?
ohhhhh now i'm missing my beer :lol: tell you what i'll go get the beer and i suspect from there will have to return tomorrow to converse on.
President Camacho wrote:As you know there can be absolutely no way to live well and good, in fact even achieving any semblance of knowledge or humanity is impossible if your inner spheres aren't revolving as they're supposed to.
i'm reminded of the old phrase getting your ducks in a row, where ducks are inner spheres and revolving is in a row :lol:

no doubt this translation will improve with beer.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

The video series is hard going. I had a hard time with the unlimited but bounded thing, too, but I think I get it. I wish I could read ancient greek. I think a lot of misunderstanding must come from the translation itself. I am of the opinion that you shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater - so I appreciate the video series by binning the bad science and keeping to Plato's metaphysics.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

yeah, delving into any wisdom tradition can be like penetrating the impenetrable, but as always, faint heart ne'er won fair maiden, but then again, it's like hitting your head against a brick wall it feels good when you stop.

i totally sympathise with anyone who thinks, fork this i'm putting on some ac/dc. speaking of which, how good is this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWqTym2cQU

wouldn't be dead for quids :D

well count von heineken and a 10hr slog of a day have conspired to render me in a mood to party, Plato is rolling a doobie and Hypatia is looking fine, time to dance :lol:

which is my way of saying i shall have to return after some r&r. bon apetite.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:
I am interested in a paradigm shift, which naturally looks insane on the surface to those who are committed to the current false delusional dominant paradigm.
If there is to be any paradigm shift there must first be a consensus of acknowledgement that a specific anomaly (or plural) has resisted the scientific community's "puzzle solving" efforts.
The paradigm shift required to understand Platonic ideas is not scientific but conceptual and religious, an understanding of how human life connects with the natural reality around us. Essentially, Plato had a purely natural and rational view on the reality of concepts, including God, but this logical philosophy was subsequently degraded as a result of the takeover of religion by supernatural orthodoxy with its magical hocus pocus. (The Latin phrase ‘hoc est corpus’ or ‘here is the body’ signifies the magical transubstantiation of the flesh and blood of Christ in the eucharist).
The paradigm shift implied in Platonic philosophy is about the reconciliation of faith and reason within a natural framework, recognising that faith has a crucial subordinate role within a rational cosmology. The error of the current scientific paradigm is more psychological than empirical, consisting in its failure to see how faith is central to ethics.
The anomalies are seen in the inability to read the Bible and other ancient texts coherently, rather than in errors of any positive scientific claims. My view is that the Bible is grounded in natural cosmology, but this grounding was so comprehensively suppressed by the church that it is now all but invisible. The paradigm shift is about putting Christianity back on a natural footing to construct an enlightened ethical vision of religion.
ant wrote: What exactly are you referring to here and how does it related to Plato's Perfect Realm of Forms?
I don’t think Plato ever referred to a ‘Perfect Realm of Forms’. That is a degraded misinterpretation of his theory of ideas. His argument was that love, goodness, justice, beauty and truth each have an essential conceptual unity that provides the meaning for empirical examples of these ideas. As soon as we speak of a realm we are wrongly spatialising a concept, failing to see the epistemic difference between ideas and things. ‘Form’ is a mistranslation of Plato’s original term ‘idea’. An example of the pervasive misreading is seen in Plato’s explanation in Timaeus that ‘being is to becoming as truth is to belief’. Being is eternal and unchanging, while becoming is temporal and changing. Some wrongly read this as a denigration of physical reality, when actually it is about how the moment of physical becoming or existence cannot be understood in isolation from the past and future, but has to be seen within the process of time, the eternal vision of unchanging truth.
ant wrote: How would Plato's "Theory of Eternity" solve whatever natural anomaly it is you are going to set forth for us here to consider?
This is actually a fascinating question for the nature of religion. Plato’s Theory of Eternity in Timaeus is presented in terms of visual astronomy, the X in the sky formed by the intersection of the unchanging galaxy and the changing zodiac. This same celestial vision was used by Constantine as the conquering cross of Christianity, the vision of the Chi Rho cross before the Battle of the Milvian Bridge on 28 October 312 AD. Plato’s Timaeus describes the X in the sky as the meeting of the same and the different in terms that can only properly be understood as referring to the observable X formed in the sky by the circle of the zodiac and the circle of the Milky Way Galaxy. This is simple naked eye cosmology, and is readily visible. On the night before the battle, Constantine would have seen if he lifted his eyes to the heavens that a cross was formed by the intersection of the zodiac with the galaxy between Taurus and Gemini. This cross rose at sunset and was prominent all night, with the zodiac light forming the second bar of the X visible before dawn after moon set. What it means for Constantine is that he understood Christ as an imagined reflection on earth of the actual observed passage of time seen in the heavens. Εν Τούτῳ Νίκα (Through this sign [you shall] conquer) says that just as Christ reflects the power and majesty of the steady movement of the visible cosmos, so too does Constantine.
The heavens certainly are majestic. Nothing we do can influence them. At the end of terrestrial time when the sun goes nova the cosmos will prove all powerful. The mandate of heaven is the mandate of the stars.
Christology proposes that Jesus Christ incarnates a hypostatic union between time (the Jesus of history) and eternity (the Christ of faith). Considered against a precessional cosmology, intimated also in Plato’s Timaeus, the stars symbolise the eternal same, while earth and the moving planets symbolise the changing realm of the different. Plato says the Chi Rho cross (ie the intersection of the circles of the galaxy and the zodiac) is the connection between time and eternity. As philosophy pondered this empirical material, the myth of Christ as the incarnation of the connection between the same and the different provided a coherent narrative. Only at the time of Christ, during the time of Pilate, were the signs and seasons exactly aligned, providing an imagined pure cosmic harmony.
This astronomical material makes sense if you understand it, but precession is an obscure topic, known only to a tiny minority, and understood by even fewer. To make this Archimedian ‘lever of the world’ the basis for an explanation of history is a tall order. That is what I contend happened in the invention of Christianity. From the astronomical observation that the sun precessed at the spring point from the first sign Aries to the last sign Pisces, we have the basis to elaborate a unifying myth, putting human flesh on the dry bones of observation of heaven.
ant wrote:If I need empirical evidence for God, you need evidence for Plato's PERFECT Realm of Forms. Thanks
God is pure concept, constructed in transcendental imagination as Platonic idea. God is not an entity, any more than ideas are entities. God is explained by logic, not discovered by evidence. The paradigm shift here is about recognising the futility and error of pretending that God could be an entity with intentions and intelligence. Instead we can understand the sacred divinity within nature, seeing how myth became the subject of reverence as a way of sacralising the secular by surrounding time by eternity.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i like the cut of your jib Robert, i wish you fair winds and following seas.

as soon as you impose a category BOOM! there goes the neighborhood.
Prez wrote:I think a lot of misunderstanding must come from the translation itself.
that's why i love guys like Pierre, they KNOW this ground inside and out.

until you get your feet they are worth their weight in gold.
Prez wrote: you shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater
one of my all time favourite figures of speech.
Prez wrote:binning the bad science and keeping to Plato's metaphysics.
yes, Pierre was right on the Campbell there, you don't want to get your cosmology from 500bc we have the Hubble now :)

but back to the baby :D
Prez wrote:What attracts you to this particular dialogue?
the beauty of the thinking.
Prez wrote:There's danger here.
always, but with a weather eye out for the baby we journey across the bathwater in the rubber ducky of life :lol:

jeez yorky, are you high?

in cricket there is a phrase "soft hands"

here is a brief explanation from a netizen
whenever you try to take a catch never throw your palms against the ball and never stop your hand as soon as you catch a ball you should always have a follow through like when a ball comes downwards you should catch the ball and follow your hand in the same direction that is downwards .The main thing that you should always keep your hands relaxed while taking a catch never keep your hands stiff this will also help you to prevent getting any hurt it needs some practice but i think you'll make it .This is called soft hands

this is to me a perfect metaphor for an approach to ideas.

as soon as you say "workers of the world unite" someone yells "screw you, you commie bastard" but the workers of the world should unite nonetheless.

they have nothing to lose but their chains.

this to me is an example of the lunacy of labelling ideas as 'platonic' or 'christian' or 'atheist' etc etc they are ideas and if they work i'll steal them.

the labelling to me is just a "divide and conquer" tactic. Plato has a treasure trove to loot.

i'm heading back for a bit more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOE1m4Nu ... S_Foa8lub-
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

mmmm the bit about Proclus Lycaeus was worth the price of admission alone.

and the killer "is it possible that his metaphysics also represents states of mind open to man?"

awesome!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I didn't know about Proclus until he mentioned that he wrote such a large volume concerning The Timaeus. Pierre says that each sentence needs to be unbundled. So if it's not Plato unbundling it - there's room for error, conjecture, misinterpretation... etc.

I like messages that seem real to me -not something somebody in a dungeons and dragons shirt thought of in between picking their nose - I don't care how cryptic, well constructed, and well thought out it is, it's still a myth... a fun time. I have a hard time reading other people's fun time when I have things to do...

Only a jerk-off would write something which held the secrets of the Universe in a manner that needed to be interpreted to such a degree as to require volumeS. My respect for Plato and Socrates has always rested solely on Socrates dialectic and Plato's efforts to keep his memory alive. I don't agree with Socrates or with Plato's politics. I think it's probably one of the reasons that Socrates was made to drink poison.

This, creator, this one, is not solely built upon a dialectic which seeks the good. The good is limitless and bounded. The good is this but not that... and so on. It goes a step further and introduced the golden mean in order to try and show some crazy stuff about what can be divided and what can't be divided. He loses me very rapidly in this dialogue. I am not motivated to try and figure it out. I keep getting caught up on the little things which, although the good of it should be kept, the ridiculous of it robs it of any interest by me.

I didn't get to read any of it today. I'll see if I can pick it up tomorrow and hopefully be done with it. The whole chasing stars to find god - making god logical but not - tossing out theories based on bad math and crazy conjecture.... this is what got people in a bad spot in the first place in my opinion. This type of crazy stuff needs to identified for what it is - crazy star trek bunk that is a funny little activity and hopefully you can make up a cosmology of your own, too! Because your cosmology will be just as truthful as Plato's. :)
Last edited by President Camacho on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:I am not motivated to try and figure it out.
yes it reminds me of food, if the apetite is not there what kind of madman forces himself to eat.

Joyce's Ulysses i have seen render amazing results when understood by a few (Campbell persevered and struck gold) but most seem to be just making it hard for themselves, and i just cant enjoy it enough to persevere, my loss but who cares, life is short and i have twenty million things to listen to, perhaps another metaphor will get me there quicker, perhaps later i will get it.
President Camacho wrote:it's still a myth... a fun time.
yeah, i think that's key

as Diorio says "if it's not fun you're not doing it right."

myth is metaphor and once you have what the metaphor was referencing you are less dependant on the metaphor.

once you know where the city is you don't need the map.
President Camacho wrote:Only a jerk-off would write something which held the secrets of the Universe in a manner that needed to be interpreted to such a degree as to require volumeS.
ancient jerk-offs we salute you :lol:

well it's there for those who enjoy a good wank :D
President Camacho wrote:I am not motivated to try and figure it out. I keep getting caught up on the little things which, although the good of it should be kept, the ridiculous of it robs it of any interest by me.
yeah it's frustrating when the terms and symbols aren't known. most wisdom traditions are like that in that they can take quite a while to do their work.
President Camacho wrote:and hopefully you can make up a cosmology of your own, too!
now your talking, that's very gnostic, write your own myth.

"and each of them entered the forest at a different place for they thought it a shame to tread another man's path" kind of deal.

Beer calls to Bier in the roar of your brewery; all your cartons are belong to me :lol:

not everyone appreciates Shawn Lane so we have Paul Gilbert as well.

that's why i hate literalism because it obscures the fact that it's all there for you IF you want it.

any mythology or poetry is fine to take and leave as we see fit, no one is going to hell for thinking "this crap ain't for me" and if at some future point it ends up floating your boat well and good, if not, meh plenty more fish in the sea, it's full of the little buggers.

we are the ones of whom the prophecy spake :D

theres a planetX tune called "king of the universe" the intro is a crack up, i'll see if i can find it.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

There is a difference between invented and discovered cosmologies. A discovered cosmology, which Plato to a large extent aims at in Timaeus, is accurate and scientific, while an invented cosmology is a mythological fantasy. There is a contact point between the two approaches in theories of time, with inventions used to fill the gaps between observations, such as we see in Plato's atomic theory of regular solids. Myth aims to instantiate the constant correct knowledge of scientific discovery, connecting the eternal and the temporal.

This is how I look at the original invention of Jesus Christ, as a mythical story to represent within time a deeper scientific reality that is timeless and eternal and true forever. This connection between time and eternity is imagined especially in the link between the unchanging vista of the stars seen in astronomy and the changing world of human life. The astronomical blueprint for the Christ story in myths of precession is a lot more coherent and detailed than people generally credit, and opens a realistic scientific way to study how the Gospel stories were manufactured as a way to explain what is true yesterday, today and forever.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

lets try this

https://soundcloud.com/skyking44/05-kin ... e-universe

Popocleeeeeeees King of the Universe :D

ps: once the tune starts try counting along to the beat, 1 2 3 4 etc

Return to “Science & Technology”