• In total there are 43 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Gretta Vosper - Atheist Christian

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Gretta Vosper - Atheist Christian

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:I will watch the video tomorrow or the next day (tomorrow is a big day at our place) and give you a reaction if I have one.
It's a long video Harry, so no problem if you skip it. Crossan has his particular view and the Jesus Seminar has about as many views as members,with certain core ideas.
I'll think about some of your points here before responding. There's no doubt that the kingdom of God or heaven is central in the gospels.
Harry Marks wrote:And yet if such a fundamental matter was at stake, at the heart of all meaning in the universe, it is difficult to understand why the Gospels have only the barest hints of it. Jesus did not lay it all out, Paul did.

For Jesus, God is simply merciful. That is who God is. When Jesus condemns someone, it is for hard-heartedness or self-aggrandizement and making life difficult for others. Thinking oneself better than others and more pure than others evidently makes it difficult for the Kingdom of God to be within us (or among us). No mechanism for forgiveness. No requirement for forgiveness (except that we forgive others).

So I would argue that the purpose Paul saw for the crucifixion was instructive, not transactive.
so that needs to be understood.
I'm not so sure it is minimal in the gospels but it's something I would need to look into. In Jesus' teaching in the sermon on the mount he speaks of leaving your gift at the altar. When he cleanses the leper he tells him to go and offer the gift commanded by Moses in Leviticus.
He teaches in the temple and upholds the O.T. as the word of God. So he certainly endorses these things and Leviticus does have much to say about atonement. That's off the top of my head but I'd need to study it more.
I'll get back to you when I've done that.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

5 min tv interview with Reverend Vosper. Excellent
http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/meet-the-ord ... -1.2735366
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Awesome stuff, high time this tide turned. Gretta is an inspiration to me.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”