• In total there are 28 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Historical fiction suggestion - AND author chat

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Historical fiction suggestion - AND author chat

Unread post

Beneath a Marble SkyAmazon linkThe author of this book has contacted me and offered to do a live chat session with BookTalk members. Yes, it's a fiction book, but it is historical fiction, AND it has received excellent reviews. Anyone interested?Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Historical fiction suggestion - AND author chat

Unread post

Here is a pdf file of Chapter 1
pctacitus

Unread post

Several names come to mind, then I crossed off several who are deceased or out of print. I'm left with:Michael Curtis Ford. Ford is a banker who has since become a full time writer. He started his fiction career with a novel on Xenophon's Anabasis, and continue with a book on Julian the Apostate, followed by a work on Mithradates and has a forthcoming novel on Attilla.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...03-2695204Jeffrey Shaara. His most recent book "To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War" comes as his 6th book, 2 Civil War, 1 Mexican War, and two Revolutionary War novels. His father wrote the book that became the movie Gettysburg.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...Y%20SHAARAWilliam Martin. I encountered him through the book Annapolis, but he has written several other historical novels including Citizen Washington, Back Bay and Harvard Yard.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glance ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

PCYou must have thought I was asking for historical fiction suggestions. I was actually sharing the name of a historical fiction book, and seeing if anyone would be interested in a live chat with the author.We will soon have a database of fiction books too, so save those fiction suggestions. I'm sure the entire community will appreciate them. I just read the first 6 pages of Chapter One and I'm hooked. That's why I'm posting again tonight. Read the above linked PDF file folks. This book is going to be fascinating.Chris
pctacitus

Unread post

My mistake. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

my favourite historical novels

Unread post

Trish,

If you have found this posting then you have become an adept at navigating Booktalk.
I love historical novels but unfortunately this seems to be a genre that attract very few quality writers.

About the Tudor era, I strongly recommend Dissolution by C.J Sansom.

I'll ad three novels at the top of my list of favourites:

1- The Far Pavillions, by M M Kaye (about British India, my favourite h n ever).

2- The pillars of the earth, by Ken Follett ( Cathedrals in England in the Middle Ages)

3-[/i] Regards from a dead princess by Kenize Mourad (the story starts with the end of the Ottoman Empire in Istanbul).
I read it in French and somehow it has stayed with me ever since. The sequel is also very good.
Ophelia.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Back to your original question, Chris -- I have this book on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It definitely intrigued me though.

I'd be game, although I note that the request came ages ago -- authors have to do a lot of their own marketing and publicity now, and some come up with a lot of creative ideas.

:)
"All Beings are the Owners of their Deeds, the Heirs to their Deeds."

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”