• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How did you stop believing?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: How did you stop believing?

Unread post

I can't say that I ever stopped believing. More so, created my own personal beliefs. I did however give up on organized religion at about the age of 12. I was raised Catholic with all of the hypocrisy and fear that it entails and finally couldn't buy into it any more. My feeling now is that all organized religion is egotistical, arrogant and a way to get money out of the gullible.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I was going to comment on the above post before I noticed I was getting sucked into the whole god thing...!!!! It's so easy to do. I blame atheists and deity worshipers alike. They both have one thing in common: they love discussing god. So that's enough for me..... Useless topic. Pointless. Running in circles. Idiotic.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

It is interesting to see the different paths that so many different people took to arrive at or near the same destinations. I studied quite a few denominations of Christian doctrine, looked at the Jewish and Muslim books, listened to JW and the Mormons. I thought hard about the Greeks and Romans, Hindu, Native American, and wondered why there were so many different kinds of answers to the one question that has been asked my mankind throughout the ages....
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
JohnOneOne

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
President Camacho wrote:Competing for a limited number of spots in heaven. Wow. That's motivation!

I'll ask next time someone comes around. I get them every couple of months.
We used to live near a Kingdom Hall and had them come by every other week.

They believe that only 144,000 will be allowed in 'heaven' and that admission is based on merit, which is why they are talking to you. They really don't want you to be 'saved' but they have to go door to door as one of their works.

Let me clear up one thing though. It might occur to you that Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's are just another denomination and their reading of the Bible is just as legitimate as Methodist, or Baptists and you would be correct except for one thing. The Jehovah's Witnesses came up with a whole new translation of the Bible called the New World Translation. It radically altered not just the text but the meaning of key verses and left others out. One major change they made was to John 1. They added the word 'a'.

The normally accepted translation of John 1:1 is;

"In the beginning was the Word and the word was with God and the Word was God."
KJV

The Jehovah's Witness New World Translation reads:
"1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."

The Mormons also have a different book than the Bible, they use the Book of Mormon. Their different than Christians in that if you are a really good Mormon, including being baptized a bunch of times for dead relatives (that's why they have that genealogy bank), one day you may get your own planet to rule. So you would no longer be President Comacho you'd be God Comacho. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Regarding Jehovah's Witnesses' "New World Translation" Bible and its rendering of John 1:1, it may interest you to know that there is soon to be published an 18+ year study (as of 08/2010) in support and explanation of their wording of this verse entitled, "What About John 1:1?"

To learn more of its design and expected release date, we invite you to visit:

http://www.goodcompanionbooks.com

Agape, JohnOneOne.
~~~~~~~~~~
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

JohnOneOne wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
President Camacho wrote:Competing for a limited number of spots in heaven. Wow. That's motivation!

I'll ask next time someone comes around. I get them every couple of months.
We used to live near a Kingdom Hall and had them come by every other week.

They believe that only 144,000 will be allowed in 'heaven' and that admission is based on merit, which is why they are talking to you. They really don't want you to be 'saved' but they have to go door to door as one of their works.

Let me clear up one thing though. It might occur to you that Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's are just another denomination and their reading of the Bible is just as legitimate as Methodist, or Baptists and you would be correct except for one thing. The Jehovah's Witnesses came up with a whole new translation of the Bible called the New World Translation. It radically altered not just the text but the meaning of key verses and left others out. One major change they made was to John 1. They added the word 'a'.

The normally accepted translation of John 1:1 is;

"In the beginning was the Word and the word was with God and the Word was God."
KJV

The Jehovah's Witness New World Translation reads:
"1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."

The Mormons also have a different book than the Bible, they use the Book of Mormon. Their different than Christians in that if you are a really good Mormon, including being baptized a bunch of times for dead relatives (that's why they have that genealogy bank), one day you may get your own planet to rule. So you would no longer be President Comacho you'd be God Comacho. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Regarding Jehovah's Witnesses' "New World Translation" Bible and its rendering of John 1:1, it may interest you to know that there is soon to be published an 18+ year study (as of 08/2010) in support and explanation of their wording of this verse entitled, "What About John 1:1?"

To learn more of its design and expected release date, we invite you to visit:

http://www.goodcompanionbooks.com

Agape, JohnOneOne.
~~~~~~~~~~
I've heard it all before. Unless they plan to do an accurate translation and correct the numerous other errors it is a waste of time.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Interbane wrote:If you died today do know for sure that you would go to Heaven?

Yes, I paid my church a deposit a few years back for entry into heaven. They handed around a dish for it.

Suppose you did die today, and found yourself standing before God and He asked you, "Why should I let you into My Heaven;" what would you say?

Fine, send me to hell you prick, you already know any answer I'd give.
I will second the above! I feel the same way.............
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes, I paid my church a deposit a few years back for entry into heaven. They handed around a dish for it.

Suppose you did die today, and found yourself standing before God and He asked you, "Why should I let you into My Heaven;" what would you say?

Interesting answers.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:

Interesting answers.
The moral blackmail inherent in this type of Pascal's Wager religious bullying is appalling. Heaven does not exist except as a vision for the transformation of the earth, as indicated by Jesus in his instructions to pray 'your will be done on earth as it is in heaven'. The whole idea of 'going to heaven' is obsolete, wrong, primitive and immoral.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
stahrwe wrote:

Interesting answers.
The moral blackmail inherent in this type of Pascal's Wager religious bullying is appalling. Heaven does not exist except as a vision for the transformation of the earth, as indicated by Jesus in his instructions to pray 'your will be done on earth as it is in heaven'. The whole idea of 'going to heaven' is obsolete, wrong, primitive and immoral.
They are just questions. Why are you so upset?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:They are just questions. Why are you so upset?
Hi Stahrwe. For evangelicals to ask people "If you died today do you know for sure that you would go to Heaven?" is a question in the same class as "When did you stop beating your wife?" It is a method refined by Karl Rove in the unethical electioneering tactic of push-polling. I admit I do get upset by push-polling, in this case people promoting the false premise that heaven exists.
Wiki: "Perhaps the most famous use of push polls is in the 2000 United States Republican Party primaries, when it was alleged that George W. Bush's campaign used push polling to torpedo the campaign of Senator John McCain. Voters in South Carolina reportedly were asked "Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain for president if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?" The poll's allegation had no substance, but was heard by thousands of primary voters."
See also loaded question
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”