• In total there are 35 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How did you stop believing?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: How did you stop believing?

Unread post

I am correcting myself:

Moody Blues - were from Birmingham - England

Swinging Blue Jeans - Merseybeat - Liverpool - just up the road....

See, I'm not quite old enough to let that one pass.... 8)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Now you've done it. That Joni Mitchell song is going 'round and 'round in my head. What a great song. The Moody Blues were a bit more cosmic and I've always loved their sound. A lot of great bands come from over there.
-Geo
Question everything
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I remember Paul McCartney, telling the anecdote about his father, who, when the Beatles had the hit - She Loves You - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

His father asked why it had to sound so American - we don't really say, Yeah.

Paul, replied, 'Well, She Loves You...Yes, Yes, Yes......just doesn't have the same ring'. :lol:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I remember Paul McCartney, telling the anecdote about his father, who, when the Beatles had the hit - She Loves You - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

His father asked why it had to sound so American - we don't really say, Yeah.

Paul, replied, 'Well, She Loves You...Yes, Yes, Yes......just doesn't have the same ring'. :lol:
Brits don't say "yep" either I don't think, but surprisingly they use "reckon" a lot as in "I reckon that's right." They also say "right" during awkward pauses.

I reckon the Beatles were trying to appeal to American audiences and, yet, they sounded so British too. In "When I'm Sixty Four," McCartney writes "Every summer we can rent a cottage on the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear." For the longest time I had no idea what "too dear" meant.

Right.
-Geo
Question everything
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

For the longest time I had no idea what "too dear" meant.
Oh, Geo, that's priceless!!!

But it isn't that we don't say things.....I mean, we know about 'reckon' and 'yep' from childhood. We watched, Popeye, Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear cartoons, in my day. Now my Grandkids, watch 'The Simpsons' - so we do know the idioms. AND, I might add, we think they are cool.

But if we were to use them, in our everyday life, people would think we were 'putting it on a bit'. You know, using Americanisms, is a bit like throwing French phrases around the room (Carley). It makes one look pretentious!!

Isn't that amazing?

Well, you've just made my day, that, and having had to look up how to spell pretentious, pretencious, pretensious ( tried all of those).

:blush:

Thank you Geo.....for some reason, you have really lifted my mood!

Gee....we human beings are queer!!!

Rafael Sabatini
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

for some reason I can actually picture in my head "zut alors!" "tres bien magnifique" "avec fromage" being physically thrown about, and people ducking to avoid being hit by them, LoL.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

froglipz: for some reason I can actually picture in my head "zut alors!" "tres bien magnifique" "avec fromage" being physically thrown about, and people ducking to avoid being hit by them, LoL.
Well, you wouldn't want to be hit 'avec fromage' now would you?

I was in the Co-op the other day and standing at the checkout, behind an very old old lady.....who, on being told that the item she had bought, should be a two for one offer....replied, 'OK, I'm cool with that!!!'

She only got away with that because she was an old lady.....otherwise, we would have all looked at one another and said, 'Pretentious, Moi???'.

Rafael Sabatini
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

My uncle was studying to be a priest.

End result: Atheist.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Johnson wrote:

My uncle was studying to be a priest.

End result: Atheist.
It can work the other way around though. It depends where the person is psychologically/intellectually.

Rafael Sabatini
NoAmount
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

From being a devout Catholic, I stopped being a believer due to the fact that the more I've read about my religion and studied it, the more incoherent it became and illogical for me. As I've come across people who challenged my church's belief and doctrines, I challenged myself too.

In a nutshell, I am a man who goes to a worship place every week. While there, I join others like me in singing songs, and hoisting up prayers. The highlight of this is eating the flesh of a man and drinking his blood. This man had a human mother and a spirit as a father. He himself is classified as a zombie. And he invites us to be carnivores.

That is not the only thing that made me turn around 360, it was more like my reason battling my heart and my reason always winning out.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”