• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How do you feel about the Tea Party movement?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
phillies4evr
Intern

Re: How do you feel about the Tea Party movement?

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:The Tea Party is not against affordable health care, or against helping people who need help. There is no argument that the health care delivery system in this country is broken but the bill rammed down the throats of the country last year does nothing to fix that. How dare congress pass a law that few had read? How dare the Speaker of the House tell us that we'll find out what is in the bill after it takes effect?

We also have to stop regulating businesses out of business and mortgaging our grandchildren's futures with expenditures we cannot afford. They are the ones who are being taxed without representation.

That's what the Tea Party is.

I absolutely agree that all Americans should have been given the opportunity to find out what exactly Obama care is all about. Nancy Pelosi should be fired for making a statement like that. After all, this healthcare bill affects every citizen in this country. I am not against healthcare that is affordable we should all know what our options are as far as this bill is concerned. Thank you for being on the same side as me. I wish others would look at these views realistically.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

We also have to stop regulating businesses out of business and mortgaging our grandchildren's futures with expenditures we cannot afford.
Right, let the businesses do whatever they want. You're parroting propaganda from the lobbyists of the rich. I agree that business should be as unregulated as possible, while the bad parts should be regulated. But this ridiculous generalization that they shouldn't be regulated is idiocy.

Do you not think we should regulate companies for carbon emissions? There's NO WAY we puny humans could ever affect the Earth that GOD created! Global warming is a scam! Talk about jeopardizing our grandchildren's future!

Certain bills need to be rammed down people's throats. The same incorrigible and unthinking stubborness is found in DC as we've seen right here on these forums. It's religious absolutist thinking. If someone CANNOT see the truth since their blinders are welded to their skull, what other avenue of approach is there? Note I'm not advocating hypocrisy. I'm not claiming I know the truth. But what I do know is that certain people are wrong, though they adamantly claim to be correct. We need to get those people out of DC and stop listening to them. Beck and Palin included.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Before jumping on the Tea Party bandwagon, I'd like to know exactly what it is. Currently the Tea Party is a vague, grass roots movement comprised of many different interests. Sure, there are some good ideas there, but certainly no platform to speak of, no consensus among Tea Party members, and no concrete plans on addressing the serious issues facing our country.

In other words, the same old thing. They've switched hats is all.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
-Geo
Question everything
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

Certain bills need to be rammed down people's throats. The same incorrigible and unthinking stubborness is found in DC as we've seen right here on these forums. It's religious absolutist thinking. If someone CANNOT see the truth since their blinders are welded to their skull, what other avenue of approach is there? Note I'm not advocating hypocrisy. I'm not claiming I know the truth. But what I do know is that certain people are wrong, though they adamantly claim to be correct. We need to get those people out of DC and stop listening to them. Beck and Palin included.
if you would listen closely to what Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin have to say, at least in my eyes, they know exactly what they are saying and doing. This country is falling apart under the Obama regime. Admit it! Something needs to be done and soon! Read what the tea party is all about. If you want a better America, remember all the people in the White House that are screwing things up and that there has to be a change somewhere!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

phillies4evr wrote:
if you would listen closely to what Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin have to say, at least in my eyes, they know exactly what they are saying and doing. This country is falling apart under the Obama regime. Admit it! Something needs to be done and soon! Read what the tea party is all about. If you want a better America, remember all the people in the White House that are screwing things up and that there has to be a change somewhere!
This is certainly the canard that's going around. Many folks seem to be blaming our economic woes on Obama, though the economic collapse clearly occurred under Bush's watch.

I agree that the healthcare bill was passed at a most inopportune time and that the fewer things left to government control the better (including American automakers). But let's be realistic here. Obama came into office during a fairly dramatic downturn that was probably many years in the making. To say the Tea Party is going to fix everything seems rather simplistic to me. Though if you're getting your news from Glenn Beck, simplistic is what you're going to get.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

that is just more faux news party speak.

Obama was given a country in the nadir of the worst recession since the twenties, embroiled in two wars of the previous president's making.

Think of it this way.

Somebody buys a house, then they go around and gut it. Tearing out the electrical wiring, plumbing and insulation. Then they leave.

Another person thinks that they can fix that house. They buy it. They start to repair the damage. So far, the electrical wiring is back in place, but no plumbing or insulation. A visitor comes in and says, "Holy crap, you really tore the shit out of this house!"

No he didn't. In fact, it is in better shape now than when he got it.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

no, I am not getting my facts from Glenn Beck but I do agree to some extent that what he says is true. Yes I will agree that Bush left office with some financial problems but nothing to the magnitude of what Obama has done. The health care reform could have been put on the back burner and should have been, especially with so many people unemployed. What the hell has he done in creating new jobs in this country? Many of the states are in an almost bankrupt situation. I believe it is more important to have people working and obtain health care coverage through their employers than having to be forced through the government to get on a health care plan that no one knows for certain what is in it. I wouldn't get too excited by it because whatever is in this plan is under lock and key. I do agree, as a tea party activist, that the US citizens have a right to be on whatever health care plan they care to be on; not run by the government. I understand that this is being done in Canada but they were way too many loopholes in their system and when they need specialized medical care, there are usually problems.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

The Obama apologists like to claim the country was floundering due to the policies that Bush enacted but the fact is that much of what he was saddled with were the result of decades of liberal entitlement ideas ala Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, et al. Bush tried to reform Fannie and Freddie and was blocked at every turn. Obama had an historic opportunity to change the direction of this country. He had the political capital and goodwill of the nation but instead of focusing on the economy he undertook his own idealogical agenda and forced it trough congress with the help of an obliging Speaker and Senate Leader.

Now we have deficits orders of magnitude higher that any in previousl history, as the US veers into the social policy morass that Europe is trying to extricate itself from.

A better analogy to Obama is that your house is on fire so you call the Obama fire department who shows up and sprays gasoline on it.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

stahrwe...... all I have to say is kudos to you!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:The Obama apologists like to claim the country was floundering due to the policies that Bush enacted but the fact is that much of what he was saddled with were the result of decades of liberal entitlement ideas ala Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, et al. Bush tried to reform Fannie and Freddie and was blocked at every turn. Obama had an historic opportunity to change the direction of this country. He had the political capital and goodwill of the nation but instead of focusing on the economy he undertook his own idealogical agenda and forced it trough congress with the help of an obliging Speaker and Senate Leader.

Now we have deficits orders of magnitude higher that any in previousl history, as the US veers into the social policy morass that Europe is trying to extricate itself from.

A better analogy to Obama is that your house is on fire so you call the Obama fire department who shows up and sprays gasoline on it.
Here's some classic selective thinking. Blame everything bad on Democrats and credit everything good to Republicans. That way everything bad that happened during eight years of a Republican administration can actually be the Democrats' fault!

I happen to agree with you about deficit spending. I think it needs to be our nation's number one priority. And I also agree that Obama flubbed his chance. I doubt I will vote for him again unless the Republicans bring up some serious whacko to run against him which unfortunately is entirely possible.

But here's the thing, wouldn't the Republicans have racked up some deficit spending as well? Our economy had gone into a nose dive and stimulus spending was called for.

The question of the day is how would the Tea Party be different? What's the plan? I haven't heard one.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Current Events & History”