• In total there are 44 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How do you feel about the Tea Party movement?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
phillies4evr
Intern

Re: How do you feel about the Tea Party movement?

Unread post

The concern about Federal spending, while legitimate as to how much is spent, places way too much blame on the current administration and fails to adequately address what came before. It supposes that Barack Obama "created" the current condition. That's just ridiculous to anyone who has been paying attention for the last 10 years. The idea of cutting ALL federal programs like social security, medicaire, unemployment, VA Hospitals, Education department, mortgage interest deductions and a myriad of programs that have served this country well is nonsense. All of this while crying over a tax deduction for the uber wealthy, one that virtually nobody in the tea party can claim anyway, and the increase in the federal deficit that will bring.
I will agree on one thing; Obama did not create the current condition of the economy, 9/11, or the war overseas. Bush left a small mess behind; Obama has made it way much worse! People who don't understand the tea party don't have to. The
tea party is just trying to find a way to get back what is rightfully ours. the people in government that the tea party is backing are people who want to help this country, not hurt it! If you don't believe in the tea party movement and what it stands for then so be it. We're just trying to head the government in the direction that it so rightly deserves!!!!!!!
toodeemo
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I will agree on one thing; Obama did not create the current condition of the economy, 9/11, or the war overseas. Bush left a small mess behind; Obama has made it way much worse! People who don't understand the tea party don't have to. The
tea party is just trying to find a way to get back what is rightfully ours. the people in government that the tea party is backing are people who want to help this country, not hurt it! If you don't believe in the tea party movement and what it stands for then so be it. We're just trying to head the government in the direction that it so rightly deserves!!!!!!!
If the Tea Party ideoligy is allowed to become law of the land, there will be devastation all around. As Dr. Vinkman said in Ghostbusters, dogs and cats living together, atonal music and general armegeddon. The problem is that there is a demonstrated lack of understanding of the Constitution, an ulawful reactionary belief in government based in christianity and the acceptance of law by violent means. The Tea Party is a dangerous anti-American party in its leadership. I don't doubt that there are Tea Party "members" who are not as extreme, dangerous and unreasonable as the party line might demonstrate. But I can tell you this. If you want to take MY country away from ME, you are going to have holy hell to pay before you come close to getting it.
To do is to be...Socrates

To be is to do...Sartre

Do be do be do...Sinatra
toodeemo
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Not everyone is running from the Tea Party candidates, in fact in many cases the inexperience of them is exactly what is attractive about them and what the Forefathers invisioned as representatives for our country. The way it is now, we have a professional legislature whose job is to constantly run for office instead of dealing with the issues facing us.

Additionally, many of our elected officials engage regularly in practices which would get them arrested if they were in business. Take social security, contributions are supposed to be used by the SSA to pay benefits and there should be a surplus of money collected vs paid. But congress for years has spent the surplus and replaced it with IOUs. Now that we are in an economic mess and SS is running low on funds that money needs to be replaced. Problem is, there isn't any money to replace it with because of our huge deficits. That means benefits wll have to be cut, or replacement money borrowed, or taxes increased, or the debt will have to be monetarized [print more money]. Any way you slice it we are going to end up putting the money in twice.

As for slashing the budget 10%, I guarantee you that 10% can be achieved through efficiency and even if it can't be, there is no choice. Cut 10% now or 100% tomorrow. Don't believe me, just ask Britain who are no making even bigger cuts, or Greece, or France?

Ok, so Obama got handed a bad economy, but deficits went from Billions to Trillions with him and the Tea Party movement has said enough. We are not going to permit that any more.

So some Tea Party candidates have said some stupid things? Obama talked about campaigning in all 57 states.

Don't like the Tea Party? Keep the liberal in charge. Within a few years us Senior Citizens will be sucking every dollar you make out of your pockets for our retirement and health care.
The one thing you can count on from Tea Party members is consistency. Consistency in comment. Consistency in not understanding the issues. Consistency in criticism of Obama and an consistent lack of factual analysis.

Obama did not grow the deficit from billions to trillions of dollars. That assertion alone makes any argument laughable. If the only stupid thing you can point to is the 57 state comment, I suggest you count up the US TERRITORIES he was referring to. I know, he's not a witch and he knows what's in the First Amendment, but that misstatement means he's a fool? Yeah, right.

There is no question that many of our politicians are scumbags. No argument there. But they were scumbags before Obaman became president too. Where were all you Tea Partiers then? Why are you not stumping for the tax cuts Obama wants or the ones he has already given? Why do you support politicians who are getting formerly illegal contributions from corporations and off shore companies? Why are you supporting politicians who are in favor of giving American jobs to offshore businesses? Is it the familiar and predictable inconsistencies the Tea Party is famous for? Are you for freedom and liberty, or liberty that suits YOUR needs when the time comes? You are voting against your own good, and most of you are so embroiled in this ill-conceived philosophy that you can't see that.

Keep the "liberal" in office? Where is it written that so-called liberal views are anti-American? Personally, I'm insulted by people who imply that it is. Your representatives...the Boeners, the Angles, the Pauls, the O'Donnels and the medial jerkwads like Rush and Beck are so far away from what freedom means AS IT APPEARS IN OUR LAW that you should be ashamed of your affiliation with them. As I said before, this is my country as much as it is yours. And you will have a serious fight on your hands if you try to take it away from me. I promise you that.

As for "old people" taking away my money, I AM old. My wife and I have paid dearly for the support of the Bush policies that have eaten up our savings, our IRA, our stocks and our retirement. Obama didn't do that. Right wing fanatics who you support did. So don't worry about us old folks depleting your money. You and your heroes have already taken care of that.

Blaming Obama's 2 years in office for the state of the union is about as outrageous as the fool who came before him. It is what it is not becasue of what Obama has done or has tried to do. It is what it is because Repbublicans have obstructed any chance for real reform. All in the cause of returning us to what caused it in the first place. And you Tea Partiers are being used by them to get there. There is no way you are going to "reform" the country and get rid of the Federal Government. All you are going to do is perhaps hurt the people who have served this country for decades with their industry, integrity and inspiration. You might put some people in an early grave because the cost of keeping them alive is inconvenient. But at the end of the day, you are going to be the fools who will become irrelevant when the republican party becomes strong again.

To be is to do...Sartre

Do be do be do...Sinatra
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

...in many cases the inexperience of them is exactly what is attractive about them...
You're suggesting we elect idiots?!? The inexperience isn't the only thing. There is also rampant stupidity. We have people running for office who think the Earth is 6,000 years old. That's simply not acceptable. It's such religious zealotry that starts wars, such as the one in Iraq. The intellectual arrogance of holding onto false ideas so tightly that no amount of intellectual discussion can bring you to see the light. We CANNOT have such people in office.
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

Keep the "liberal" in office? Where is it written that so-called liberal views are anti-American? Personally, I'm insulted by people who imply that it is. Your representatives...the Boeners, the Angles, the Pauls, the O'Donnels and the medial jerkwads like Rush and Beck are so far away from what freedom means AS IT APPEARS IN OUR LAW that you should be ashamed of your affiliation with them. As I said before, this is my country as much as it is yours. And you will have a serious fight on your hands if you try to take it away from me. I promise you that.
who said anything about taking this country away from anybody. You apparently have this all wrong. I have fought enough on this topic and it's time I put an end to it. The election is next week.. let's just see what happens. I am actually on this website to promote a book, not to fight about politics. Enough said.
toodeemo
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

who said anything about taking this country away from anybody. You apparently have this all wrong. I have fought enough on this topic and it's time I put an end to it. The election is next week.. let's just see what happens. I am actually on this website to promote a book, not to fight about politics. Enough said.
Obviously you don't even understand the party you purport to follow. One of the main planks in the platform is to "take our country back." For someone who is not here to fight about politics, you seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. Well, a pretty good attempt anyway. I generally find "enough said" to means I give up. Probably a good idea.

Good luck with your book.

To be is to do...Sartre

Do be do be do...Sinatra
phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

I do not give up! It is just apparent that the majority of people who have left posts on here are pretty clueless as to what is going on around them. I will never give up fighting for a country whose motto is 'we the people'.
toodeemo
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

phillies4evr wrote:I do not give up! It is just apparent that the majority of people who have left posts on here are pretty clueless as to what is going on around them. I will never give up fighting for a country whose motto is 'we the people'.
We the people INCLUDES people who have left posts. You don't and those of your ilk do not understand that. So don't give up fighting. But remember there WILL be a fight. And there are more of us than you. Calling people you don't know clueless is a somewhat dangerous game. Especially when they have something more than a clue. They have knowledge. There IS a difference.

To be is to do...Sartre

Do be do be do...Sinatra
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

VIDEO: Tea Party Thugs Attack Progressive Activist. Tell @DrRandPaul to denounce Tea Party violence: http://bit.ly/bTuvPh @courierjournal

NUFF SAID
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:VIDEO: Tea Party Thugs Attack Progressive Activist. Tell @DrRandPaul to denounce Tea Party violence: http://bit.ly/bTuvPh @courierjournal

NUFF SAID

Violence in politics is deplorable but to claim that it is only Tea Party or Republican supporters who are guilty is disingenuous. Check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5J22JPNnU
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “Current Events & History”