• In total there are 49 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"Jazz" thread

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: "Jazz" thread

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Leave it to BookTalk to start a jazz thread and immediately launch into Jethro Tull. :lol:
:lol: focus pinky, focus :lol:
geo wrote:Tull's music has some very complex stuff going on...
indeed so complex Dave Pegg's hair fell out :lol:

which reminded me of a night when i was delighted to see a Tull gig was on telly (stranger things have happened) and i was shaking my head in amazement as i tried to keep track of some of the arrangements, 11 , 13, 7, 5, 2 and 1/2, 14, good grief an even number! i was thinking how the hell are they keeping track of all that, then Ian announced that the bass player was filling in on short notice, i was thinking what kind of masochist would agree to do a fill in job on bass for Tull, talk about balls of steel :-D
geo wrote:...but there are some similiarities.
playing with Ian Anderson sent Dave Pegg bald and playing with Chick Corea sent Frank Gambale bald

after you've got "take 5" down you can have a go at "living in the past"
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

oh and getting me into Kenny Barron has been fantastic!

i've already ripped off that amazing voicing he does with two sets of stacked 5ths a semitone apart, it's so tasty.

fun as well, you know the intro to message in a bottle, the police tune ?

it's all stacked 5ths, sting loves those, uses 'em in so many of his earlier hits, so now i realise i can just slide up a semitone and do another stacked 5th, ton's of fun.

what a classic, when i was a kid i learnt a chord from guitar player mag that i fell in love with, it was Em11 (they called it Em9sus4 but the b3 was still there) and i used to use it every chance i got, i was just running the KB voicing on keyboard and the penny dropped, the old guitar player chord was the KB voicing put on Em on the the guitar, E B F# G D A low to high, two sets of stacked fifths a semitone apart, full circle, small world!

here's a vid of a guy breaking it down well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1uhLB2PSM

and, what a drummer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOTl-DLkuA
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Nice thread youkrst :)

With jazz there's so much great stuff out there that one could spend hours just posting links here, I'm just going to name drop if you'll allow :)

Mile's Davis goes without saying, With him I'll listen to anything I can find.
Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery are right there as well.
Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Regi Workman, Joe Chambers they do it to it!.
John Coltrane , Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner, Like I said, Name dropping fails to do any of these guys justice.
Max Roach, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Thee guys influenced the likes of Mitch Mitchell of The Experience.

Here's a link to an older but phenomenal Buddy Rich solo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k, about seven minutes, but the speed of the hands is amazing, :)

Jethro Tull, been a fan for some 35 years, one of my personal favorites from them, actually brought a girl friend too tears because she thought me to be sensitive, merely for having turned her onto the song :hmm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z2RzVhw4rE

@ DB; That is more than an instrument, It is art itself, I tip my hat to you.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

As far as jazz goes, I'm partial to Don Byron, Bill Evans, Cecil Taylor, Trane and Miles. I even adopted two cats about 2 weeks ago after my old buddy died on Nov 19, and I call one Cannonball and the other is Coltrane or just Ball n Trane for short.

Since I am a bassist, I am a huge fan of guys like Scott LaFaro, Paul Chambers, Jim Hughart, Neils-Henning Pederson Oersted, Oscar Pettiford, Jimmy Blanton, Mingus and like that. I like Graham Maby a lot. He played bass guitar for Joe Jackson who was mentioned earlier and I thought he was great at that but when Jackson broke into jazz with "Jumpin' Jive" album, he got a new band and went from bass guitar to double bass but, surprisingly, he didn't change bassists. Maby played double bass on that album and quite well, I might add. I got to see Graham playing for Marshall Crenshaw, believe it or not. I was in the service and stopped into this bar which was advertising Crenshaw and I figured, why not? To my surprise, Graham Maby comes out onstage and plugs in his bass.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

awesome, when i see the outstanding artists we all know and love it cheers me up a treat to know the light is still shining in the dark.
Taylor wrote:Jethro Tull, been a fan for some 35 years, one of my personal favorites from them, actually brought a girl friend too tears because she thought me to be sensitive, merely for having turned her onto the song
:-D reminded me of when an old gf of mine back in the day left me, and took my latest Tull album, AND my only copy of "unsung heroes" by the dixie dregs, i was initially a bit miffed but then i realised that during the time we had together her musical taste had developed quite a bit so that took the sting out of the missing albums :)

but what a tune "meanwhile back in the year... one"

i'm stoked that so far the hardcore Tull fan count is up to 3 for BT which speaks well for it

and now with DB bringing in Graham Maby and y'all posting what your postin' i feel honored to be in such discerning company.
DB wrote:and stopped into this bar which was advertising Crenshaw and I figured, why not? To my surprise, Graham Maby comes out onstage and plugs in his bass.
:clap2: what a blast!

reminds me of the time we went to that guitar trio thing with Al D, JM and i forget who the third was because as we were all having drinks to skip the support act someone came into the bar and told us the support act was Steve Morse! needless to say we all got out of the bar reasonably quickly and took our seats, Morse came back for the last bit and stood out immediately as the only guy to bend a string all night :lol:

PS: i notice Miles Davis name a lot (understandably) and it reminded me of his book

Miles: The Autobiography with Quincy Troupe

i really enjoyed that book.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I'm having a hard time keeping up with this thread. But DB Roy mentioned Graham Maby, who played on the aforementioned Joe Jackson live album, Summer In The City. I have to again recommend this amazing album. It's just three guys: Joe Jackson, Graham Maby and drummer Gary Burke. Check out this tune in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIZClTrB4g

Anyway, I have to relate a funny story. A couple of years ago, I was trying to figure out how to play the drum part for this song, Another World. I pretty much nailed it, but I was wondering if Burke here is using two rack toms in addition to a floor tom, or was he just using one rack tom and a floor tom. So, this being the age of information, I simply emailed Burke and asked him. Well, he actually replied! Turns out he had only one 13" rack tom and 16" floor tom on the kit he used for those concerts. How cool is that!

By the way, these days Burke is playing in a band called Professor Louie and the Crowmatix. Check out their web site here:

http://www.professorlouie.com/index.html
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Taylor wrote:Nice thread youkrst :)

With jazz there's so much great stuff out there that one could spend hours just posting links here, I'm just going to name drop if you'll allow :)

Mile's Davis goes without saying, With him I'll listen to anything I can find.
Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery are right there as well.
Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Regi Workman, Joe Chambers they do it to it!.
John Coltrane , Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner, Like I said, Name dropping fails to do any of these guys justice.
Max Roach, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Thee guys influenced the likes of Mitch Mitchell of The Experience.

Here's a link to an older but phenomenal Buddy Rich solo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k, about seven minutes, but the speed of the hands is amazing, :)

Jethro Tull, been a fan for some 35 years, one of my personal favorites from them, actually brought a girl friend too tears because she thought me to be sensitive, merely for having turned her onto the song :hmm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z2RzVhw4rE

@ DB; That is more than an instrument, It is art itself, I tip my hat to you.
Thanks for mentioning your favorite jazz artists. I need to look some of these up. The Wayne Shorter Quartet has a live one called Without A Net that is quite good. During one of the songs you can hear a lady in the audience saying "Oh My God" during one of Shorter's saxophone solos. My sentiments exactly.

I'm listening to Fred Hersch Trio +2 album right now, which is very good.

I love Skating Away. There's a live version on Bursting Out (I think?) that's very good.
-Geo
Question everything
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

drummer Gary Burke.
i love that guy, ever since i saw this, what a badass!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcd-WCtlcx4

hot damn what a lyric

stop everything, i think i hear the president ........ Donald!!!! :-D

too hard for clever folks to understand.

as i listen to that the heavens turn from brass to wide open, you cant keep a good man down, preach it JJ

in the wee hours i'll meet you
down by dun-ringill
oh and we'll watch the old ghosts play
by dun-ringill

whispered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxcktkNSw38

high above the highest bidder for the good lords throne

and the stormwatch brews

LG
Last edited by youkrst on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

geo wrote:How cool is that!
that is extremely cool :yes:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

just been chilling to "Stormwatch" after the muse whispered "dun ringill" in my ear at work this morning.

good grief!

how are the lyrics to Orion and Dark Ages :-D

Return to “Everything Else”