• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER 2012 NON-FICTION BOOK POLL

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!

What NON-FICTION books would you like to read in July, August and September of 2012?

BOOK 1 - Ending of Time by Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Bohm

6%
BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt

15%
BOOK 3 - The Cultural Nature of Human Development by Barbara Rogoff

18%
BOOK 4 - A Life Gone Awry by Wayne Kernochan

6%
BOOK 5 - On the Origins of War by Donald Kagan

6%
BOOK 6 - Religion for Atheists by Alain De Botton

15%
BOOK 7 - God's Jury by Cullen Murphy

6%
BOOK 8 - God and the Folly of Faith by Victor J. Stenger

6%
BOOK 9 - The Religious Beliefs of America's Founders by Gregg L. Frazer

12%
BOOK 10 - Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne

12%

Total votes: 34
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER 2012 NON-FICTION BOOK POLL

Unread post

I won't vote as I probably won't read any of the books listed since I have a library full of books that I may never get to!?

Just wanted to stick my nose in and say that my husband was reading the Comanche book as we crossed the country by train last winter. He said it is very little about Quannah Parker and mostly about the Comanche's and the terrible violence of those times and battles. I also read parts of it, mostly about the terrible treatment given to Cynthia Parker after she was "rescued" from the indians.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Not every vote will be counted. If common sense tells us that the person voting will not participate in the book discussion the vote will be discarded. Those of you with only 1 post will not be counted unless you prove yourself as someone that is serious about participating on the forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please read what I say here and then KEEP VOTING! 8)

BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt has the most votes from real members that will probably actually participate in a discussion of the book. So right now I'm going to announce this book as 1 of our NON-FICTION book discussions for July, August and September.

This poll will remain up for a few more days at least so keep voting. If a 2nd book gets lots of votes we can announce it as a 2nd NON-FICTION book discussion to run concurrently with BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt.

Several people voted and then asked for their accounts to be deleted or their accounts were deleted for spam. And then 2 new people voted but their votes will not count because there is almost no chance they will actually participate so we don't want their votes impacting what books we read. Why do I feel they won't participate? They voted and then never again made another post despite my PM's and emails asking them to get involved on the forums to prove themselves. I could be wrong but a decade of experience tells me these are the people that can be considered "hit and run voters." They are voting because voting is fun, but they aren't going to stick around.

As of right now BOOK 3 and BOOK 4 have the 2nd most qualified votes so please don't consider the voting over. I just want to announce the lead book right now so people can order it and receive it before the start of the July, August and September discussion period.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”