• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"Migrant Caravan" headed to the US border

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Re: "Migrant Caravan" headed to the US border

Unread post

According to Fox News, General Terrance O'Shaughnessy, Commander, U.S. Northern Command, says, additional forces will be deployed [to the border] in support of 5,239 troops already marked for duty there. Lucas Tomlinson reports.
Oct. 31, 2018 - 1:23

I'm handing out lollipops, Halloween candy, and yes, cookies, to whoever can tell me how many troops we have stationed in Syria and Iraq fighting ISIS.
Last edited by Litwitlou on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I'm handing out lollipops, Halloween candy, and yes, cookies, to whoever can tell me how many troops we have stationed in Syria and Iraq fighting ISIS.
Non sequitur.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

ant wrote:
Non sequitur.
Okay, no cookies for you.
Donald J. Trump
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Time to calm down about the caravan.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/ ... e-caravan/
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:.
According to Fox News, General Terrance O'Shaughnessy, Commander, U.S. Northern Command, says, additional forces will be deployed [to the border] in support of 5,239 troops already marked for duty there. Lucas Tomlinson reports.
Oct. 31, 2018 - 1:23

A few? I don't know.
-Geo
Question everything
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

geo wrote:Time to calm down about the caravan.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/ ... e-caravan/

That's all I'm sayin'.
Donald J. Trump
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Canada, that bastion of liberal values, and recent strong critic of the USA is bolstering their deportation efforts:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-d ... -1.4873169
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Canada, that bastion of liberal values, and recent strong critic of the USA is bolstering their deportation efforts:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-d ... -1.4873169
Immigration has become a hot-bed political issue only recently. Five years ago, I don't think any of us would have been able to identify the party most likely to deport illegal immigrants. As I understand it, Obama deported more illegal immigrants than any other president, although I would have to double check this.

That's why it doesn't surprise me that Canada is bolstering deportation efforts. I think it's a myth that liberals are gung ho about letting illegals in. If anything, liberals believe deportation should be done as humanely as possible. But likely most conservatives believe this as well. The policy that separates children from their parents is unpopular in both parties.
-Geo
Question everything
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

geo wrote:Five years ago, I don't think any of us would have been able to identify the party most likely to deport illegal immigrants. As I understand it, Obama deported more illegal immigrants than any other president, although I would have to double check this.
Good observation, but that's also why Trump was able to pull off a coup in the Republican party. The mainstream politicians, aligned mainly with business donors, were more in tune with free trade and lax immigration enforcement. Tea Party types are on a different agenda.

I think what really got the Anne Coulter nativism going was the end of the country preferences in immigration, with a lottery instead of preference for Norwegians. The lottery began in 1999.
geo wrote:That's why it doesn't surprise me that Canada is bolstering deportation efforts. I think it's a myth that liberals are gung ho about letting illegals in. If anything, liberals believe deportation should be done as humanely as possible.
Well, Canada has less racial division, but there is still plenty of nativism in Canada. Tension over Chinese money driving up real estate prices in Vancouver and Toronto is serious stuff.

I think most U.S. liberals mainly react with disgust to the exploitation of illegals by employers and human trafficking. Some react by saying there should be no restrictions, more react by saying the path to citizenship should be a broad one, and even more just want enforcement to crack down on abusive employers more than on undocumented workers. I would be surprised to hear that ICE has done that since Dear Leader was chosen, but who knows? The optics would be better than sending troops to the border or threatening to repeal part of the 14th Amendment by Executive Order.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think most U.S. liberals mainly react with disgust to the exploitation of illegals by employers and human trafficking.

The Obama Administration was abhorrently negligent with the care of children and human trafficking.
The Obama administration failed to protect thousands of Central American children who have flooded across the U.S. border since 2011, leaving them vulnerable to traffickers and to abuses at the hands of government-approved caretakers, a Senate investigation has found.

The Office of Refugee Resettlement, an agency of the Department of Health and Human Services, failed to do proper background checks of adults who claimed the children, allowed sponsors to take custody of multiple unrelated children, and regularly placed children in homes without visiting the locations, according to a 56-page investigative report released Thursday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... e39a87766f

I don't recall any liberal outrage in the media, or in the public square about this. How about you? Were you disgusted by the negligence of the Obama Admin when the above was happening?

Also, I think there are many conservatives who "react with disgust" to the exploitation of illegals and the like.

Here's a related snoops fact check:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-o ... affickers/
Last edited by ant on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Current Events & History”