• In total there are 48 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Moby Dick Chapter 29 Enter Ahab To Him Stubb

#106: Mar. - May 2012 (Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Moby Dick Chapter 29 Enter Ahab To Him Stubb

Unread post

Link http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2701/270 ... m#2HCH0029

As I promised, I am going to keep going chapter by chapter. Consider this a skeleton around which the flesh of the whale can be grown.

CHAPTER 29. Enter Ahab; to Him, Stubb.

Here we learn more about Ahab. Melville is a master of characterisation.
"ice and icebergs all astern, the Pequod now went rolling through the bright Quito spring"
This evocative image is the name of a band, Bright Quito Spring. Quito is the capital of Equador, but the map of the journey of the Pequod takes them into the Indian Ocean, not the Pacific.
http://www.myspace.com/brightquitospring is worth a listen.

And here we get a breathtaking poem

Code: Select all

"The warmly cool, clear, ringing, perfumed, overflowing, redundant days, were as crystal goblets of Persian sherbet, heaped up—flaked up, with rose-water snow. The starred and stately nights seemed haughty dames in jewelled velvets, nursing at home in lonely pride, the memory of their absent conquering Earls, the golden helmeted suns!

As
"the witcheries of that unwaning weather ... wrought on Ahab's texture ... he seemed so much to live in the open air.... ere long the old man would emerge, gripping at the iron banister, to help his crippled way. ... the reverberating crack and din of that bony step, that their dreams would have been on the crunching teeth of sharks.
When the mate Stubb complains about the noise of shark teeth made by Ahab's ivory leg, the old monster's response is
"Down, dog, and kennel!"

"said Stubb, emboldened, "I will not tamely be called a dog, sir."

"Then be called ten times a donkey, and a mule, and an ass, and begone, or I'll clear the world of thee!"

As he said this, Ahab advanced upon him with such overbearing terrors in his aspect, that Stubb involuntarily retreated.

"How he flashed at me!—his eyes like powder-pans! is he mad? Anyway there's something on his mind... He's full of riddles; I wonder what he goes into the after hold for, every night ... Think not, is my eleventh commandment; and sleep when you can, is my twelfth ... his brow ... flashed like a bleached bone. ... Coming afoul of that old man has a sort of turned me wrong side out. "
heledd
Doctorate

Re: Moby Dick Chapter 29 Enter Ahab To Him Stubb

Unread post

Yes I thought the beginning of this chapter very poetic. And the differences between the sleep patterns of the two men - with Ahab grumbling to himself that going to his cabin 'feels like going down into one's tomb' While Stubbs thinks 'damn me, it'w worth a fellow's while to be born into the world, if only to fall right asleep. And now that I think of it, that's about the first thing babies do, and that's a sort of queer, too.' It's also amusing how Stubbs begins to believe that maybe Ahab did kick him.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Moby Dick; or, the Whale - by Herman Melville”