• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Official Poll - July/Aug 2004 Book of the Month(s)

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Official Poll - July/Aug 2004 Book of the Month(s)

Unread post

Brother WilliamYou have to actually vote for it by selecting it in the poll in addition to posting your choice here. Thanks.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Re: which book i want

Unread post

I thought I put a post on here last night but it's not here. I'll say this again...I have had a message from Dr. Grayling, he says that he is very pleased that the book has been nominated. It has not been released in the US yet but in view of the fact that it is being proposed on Booktalk he is going to talk to his publisher with a view to getting the release date brought forward.I'll keep you informed
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I voted for Grayling's book!
wrkelly
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Re: which book i want

Unread post

Hi everyone,I just voted for "What is Good" by Grayling. I looked online; here's a list of libraries worldwide that definitely already have it. Generally you can just order it through interlibrary loan, but if you have trouble you can bring this list and they will get a copy for you.My second choice is "Water Wars" by Shiva, in case this one is disqualified! UMASS AMHERSTAZ STATEU OF AZSTANFORD UU CA BERKELEYU CA DAVISU CA IRVINEU CA LAYOLO COUNTY LIBTRINITY COLLWESLEYAN UIOWA STATELOYOLA U OF CHICNORTHWESTERNU OF ILINDIANA UNIVU. OF NOTRE DAMEU OF KENTUCKYTULANE UEPICOPAL DIVINITY SCH & WESTON JSTLMITU OF MICHIGANDUKE UU OF CAROLINA CHAPEL HILLN DAKOTA STATE UCOLUMBIA UCORNELL UFORDHAM USIENA COLLOBERLIN COLLU OF CINCINNATIOK STATE UU OF OREGONU OF TENNESSEEBAYLOR URICE USOUTHERN METH UU OF TEX AUSTINBRIGHAM YOUNG UU OF VAVA TECHU OF WAMARQUETTE UGREATER VICTORIA PUB LIBOKANAGAN U SIMON FRASER UVANCOUVER PUB LIBMCMASTER UU OF TORONTOU OF WESTERN ONTARIOCHINESE U OF HONG KONGMOORE THEOL COLLU OF HONG KONGBRITISH LIBU OF OXFORDU OF WARWICKVCU SCH OF THE ARTS QATAR
wrkelly
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

huh. Interesting that most of the libraries are in North America and only 3 in Britain! go figger.
Katala Au

Unread post

I also voted for Grayling - it's really the only one that I think really sparks my interest. I will really have no idea until I get back to Oz whether it's easily available there or not, but I finally found an online store in Sydney that has it on sale, so at least I can get it from there I think. Still a little expensive though so hopefully some libraries have it! Nicole
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Poll stats as of Tuesday, June 29, 2004:Civilization And It's Enemies: The Next Stage of History - by Lee Harris 5 / 35.7% 1. pctacitus2. Chris OConnor3. Brother William of Baskerville 02 (vote won't count this poll)4. ZachSylvain5. Tiarella6. misterpessimistic What is Good? - by A C Grayling 8 / 57.1% 1. CSflim2. Jeremy19523. PeterDF4. tarav5. wrkelly6. Katala Au7. booper54 Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution, and Profit - by Vandana Shiva 1 / 7.1% 1. Dissident HeartNOTE:The poll is still active! I'm simply posting some current stats so we all know where we stand.Brother William of Baskerville 02's vote will not be counted in this poll seeing as he has only contributed 2 posts to the BookTalk forums. As per rule #4 on our Guidelines page we cannot count votes unless the person making the vote has contributed at least 10 posts on the forums. Read the rule for an explanation of why we have this requirement. It looks like he didn't cast a vote in the poll anyway, and simply posted his choice in this thread. We encourage him to continue posting so that next poll he will be able to contribute. Five votes count so far for Civilization And It's Enemies.Out of the 8 votes currently cast for What is Good?, only 7 will be counted. One person failed to make a post in this thread telling everyone that they voted for this book. If this is you please let us know right away so your vote will be counted.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

PeterDF said...Quote:I have had a message from Dr. Grayling, he says that he is very pleased that the book has been nominated. It has not been released in the US yet but in view of the fact that it is being proposed on Booktalk he is going to talk to his publisher with a view to getting the release date brought forward.The problem is that we're supposed to be starting the next reading in only two days. How are members supposed to get a copy of this book within two days? I'm a bit concerned.We might want to add a rule that says book nominations must be available for sale on Amazon.com.I see that Amazon.com has 3 copies available only. Any suggestions? And if your suggestion is ro order ir from the UK site please provide some info on how to do this and what the cost might be.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
costas v

Unread post

Amazon UK sells the paperback for 3.99 UKP and claims to ship in 24 hours. Total cost for 3-5 days shipment to the US is 11 UKP (= $20) and 26.50 UKP (= $48.5) for 1-2 days. Amazon UK link is: www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obi...90-7308606Back to work...

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”