• In total there are 13 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Post Some of Your Favorite Quotes

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Suzanne, I really like the Steinback quote that you posted! I am glad you posted it!
Last edited by tarav on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Some quotes I remember and love, but can't remember who said 'em:

What we do for ourselves die with us;
what we do for others are immortal.

Judge not how a man decides to start things,
but by how he decides to end them.

Our job is not to see what lies dimly at a distance,
but to do what lies clearly at hand.

I'd rather appreciate one rose and a kind word from a real friend while I'm here than a truck of different flowers when I'm gone.

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to discover the power to conquer.

"I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things."
- Faber, Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Oh, and from Spongebob!

Squidward: Why do it today when you have tomorrow?
Spongebob: Because today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Spongebob: Patrick, what do you usually do when I'm gone?
Patrick: Wait for you to come back.

OPOPANAX!!!!!
:zorro: ZORRO!
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I have a bookmark with this quote on it:
All progress, all success, springs from thinking.
Thomas A. Edison
Sometimes after over-analyzing and re-thinking I gently caress this bookmark and tell myself it is ok! LOL
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

Susanna Kaysen wrote:Boyfriends and literature: How can you make a life out of those two things? As it turns out, I did; more literature than boyfriends lately, but I guess you can't have everything...
The Real Macai

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Wizards of the Coast wrote:Hot blood washes away cold reason.
Lois
Master Debater

Unread post

"We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."
~ "The Outermost House"
Henry Beston
Author (1888-1968)
This is one of my favorite quotes concerning animals. Several years ago, I did some volunteer work at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center here in Minneapolis and that is where I saw this quote.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Some of my favorite quotes

Unread post

"It is hard to tell if a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place." H. L. Mencken
"The only thing humans have to fear, is fear itself."

I do not know who made that, I just really like it :laugh:
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln
"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." Mark Twain
"When we were children we were grateful to those who filled our stockings at Christmas time. Why are we not grateful to God for filling our stockings with legs?" G K Chesterton
If you want to find some other awesome quotes, head to coolquotes.com
----------------------------------------------------------
Have you read any good books recently?
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose" - JBS Haldane

I think this may be the case, as we not only struggle to find answers about fundamental characteristics of the universe, but even to forumulate the questions.
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

Life of Pi wrote:To choose doubt as a philosophy of lifeis akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation. ( 28 )
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
lottebeertje
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
I tried to find it in French, but I couldn't find it...
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. - Oscar Wilde
By the way, I'm having a bit trouble with adding a signature. I tried to look it up in the Forum FAQ, but it said I was able to create a signature in my profile, which seems perfectly logical save for the fact I can not find where I am supposed to do it then... Can someone please explain this to me? :smile:

Return to “Everything Else”