• In total there are 57 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Looking for book recs on China

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Looking for book recs on China

Unread post

Anyone have any recommendations for learning about China, especially modern history and culture?
Sue Salisbury
Getting Comfortable

Re: Looking for book recs on China

Unread post

I read "Life and Death in Shanghai" many years ago and have always remembered this book. It is an autobiography written by Nien Cheng, whose husband had been an official of Chiang Kaishek's regime. She was arrested, and while it is a very personal and inspirational account of her struggles, her assessments of events and political situation of China's cultural revolution of 1966 are insightful.

Sue Salisbury
Maui Hawaii
Last edited by Sue Salisbury on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Salisbury
Maui Hawaii
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Unread post

I was going to recommend Romance of the Three Kingdoms until I saw that you wanted something modern. But if you believe that the present is a product of the past, this classic would be worth reading. It's such an important part of Chinese culture in that it has influenced so much later art including modern Chinese story telling in many genres. My review here if you're interested

Otherwise, there's always Wild Swans Review
Mitya
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'm half-way through Mao's Great Famine by Frank Dikkoter, which documents China's devastating attempt to become an economic powerhouse within fifteen years, starting in 1958 with a nation-wide roll out of collectivisation. In four years, fifty million people died as a result of this catastrophically misguided policy, and Dikkoter does justice to this neglected chapter of history with a deft mix of humane depictions of hardship anchored with a lucid delineation of the ideological and economic context.
Coralie1960
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I highly recommend "Oracle Bones" by Peter Hessler. This is a fascinating, book that is highly readable and very informative. Hessler tells the story of modern China through the lives of some average Chinese citizens. Along the way, he also tells the story of China's past, and manages to make seamless connections between the two. This is an amazing book.

Return to “Everything Else”