• In total there are 91 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 90 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Hello Book Lovers Everywhere!!!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Hello Book Lovers Everywhere!!!

Unread post

I found BookTalk through the Internet: Searching, searching, searching. Have wanted to join an on-line book club for awhile and since I just retired this seems like a good time. There is a in-person book club in Olympia where I live so might join that. The owner of a small mystery book store started it and I buy books there often. It seems to me that small businesses should be supported where possible and she gives her customers good discounts. She also recommends great reads!!!

In my job I wrote grants. I found the work very rewarding so I tended to be a workaholic. Just decided to leave all the political stuff behind and get back to things that I really liked doing. I loved gardening. There is a lot of work to do for my garden to reclaim its status as a peaceful oasis. But we always have a stunning Indian Summer here in the Northwest so I figure there are another six to eight weeks to put a dent in the work and enjoy the results. Overall goal is to return it to what my neighbors remember as really beautiful. (They don't say that now for sure!!!)

In the spring here in the Northwest we get the beautiful blooms of azaleas and rhodies. And yes, it does rain a lot in Washington. Or at least in Western Washington. But that is how these flowering shrubs get so beautiful. And the rain and storms can be restful. It can also get so bad that some think a boat would be more appropriate transportation than a car!!!

I look forward to just sitting by the fire and reading this winter. There will also be some knitting and crocheting as these are two hobbies I want to resume. I will be taking some classes to re-learn some of the detail work I have forgotten. I used to make all my friends afghans and also donate a few. So looking forward to doing that again.

Looking forward to doing some volunteer work. Over the last six or seven months have been somewhat as I limp around and can't stand for long periods of time. Need both knees replaced, but again was working too much to take the time off. Will do that now. And I am hoping I can find some work writing grants for smaller organizations to help them get funds to support their activities.

Then the reason for my joining; I love to read. When younger (in my 20's and 30's) I concentrated on history non-fiction. I enjoyed Greek and Roman mythology and European history; concentrating most of my reading on England, Italy and France, back through the ages. I intend to look for more of these books as well as read some old favorites. I also read some historical fiction every once in awhile.

Today my main reading focus is mysteries. I have some favorite current authors, and I am a fan of the late Robert Parker and Stuart Kaminsky. I think P. D. James is fantastic, but was a bit disappointed in her last book. Also really enjoy authors that have been gone for quite some time like Dashielle Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, and Georges Simenon. And most especially F. Scott Fitzerald. I have read many of his short stories as well as his novels. I like to read not just their books, but about them and their lives.

I have a huge book list of what I have read the last five or six years, but before that I did not keep track. They are mostly mysteries. I am sure I will find books I have read before, but I might actually enjoy them more now.

I look forward to our discussions and all your recommendations.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Hello Book Lovers Everywhere!!!

Unread post

Hi Casey. Like you I am retired. I was a lawyer, and for 30+ years read mostly pleadings, briefs, contracts. leases, etc. :( Now I read what I want to without apology. :) Personal I like science-fiction, crime/myster, historical fiction, and an occasional western. I don't read romance novels. :angry: I can't remember all the books I have read, but it must number in the hundreds. :? Looking forward to some good exchanges with you.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
AnthonyP
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Welcome Casey!
Do you love the Great Books of the Western Civilization? Let's start a reading group!
Durzo blint
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

welcome to the group

Drinks are on me :)

-do we even have a bar here??
Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches to your body
George Carlin
TK Trayle
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Welcome!
You sound like such a wonderful person...donating your "knitting and crocheting" and wanting to volunteer. That is exactly what I would like to do when I have a moment. However, my 3 children (under the ages of four) keep me really busy. So that is why I am going to start with donating portions of the sales of my novels to different charities.
Thank you for recommending some of those "mystery" authors. I shall check them out sometime.
Take care,
T.K.
TheWriter
Master Debater

Unread post

Welcome!
I love it when people just read what they like and not what they're "supposed to" - unless at work that is...
There are so many that claim to never read crime/thrillers/mystery - like that should be second rate litterature. To *** with them!
We want to put a smile on peoples faces!
The Furries and The Happy Club
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Thanks for the welcome. When they invent the virtual bar then we can all share a drink and welcome each other!!! I am just starting in this world of personal computers. Spending so much time on the computer at work, and knowing if I had a computer at home I would just remote in and do more work, I decided it was not such a good idea. But I got one a few months before I retired and then just decided to look around for book clubs because reading is something I have enjoyed all my life. Wanted to talk with others who shared the same interest.

And of course get ideas about great books to read!!!

It is only now that I am retired that I can actually pursue anything at all because I was either too exhausted from working, or I was working!!!! It is really enjoyable to have real options.

I have a few friends who would like to look at writing together, but I am very hesitant as I have never tried anything like this before and I can see, having been an avid reader for so long, the amount of talent required to create a story and characters that would be of interest to people. It is an interesting idea, but I wonder if it is a case of either being born with the talent or simply not having it? But because I have decided to at least give things I have not done before a try, I am going to look around for classes.

For those of you who write as well as participate in the reading part of this book club, what do you think? I just can't imagine one waking up one morning and being Janet Evanovich. How do writers get started? Where do they get ideas?

Maybe I am trying for too much adventure!!!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

What a fantastic introduction! I feel like I know you personally already. Please do stick around and join the many great discussions happening at any given time. Welcome to the community. :-)
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

welcome Casey. Sounds like you have great plans for retirement. I also enjoy reading mysteries, romance, history, fiction, vampires, classics, a western here and there, essentially a little bit of everything. For mysteries/thrillers I'm reading Sandstorm by James Rollins at the moment. I really enjoy his books as he has a good mystery, history, suspense and a little science usually and he weaves all these topics into great stories. I enjoy Janet Evanovich as well and Nora Roberts every once in a while. James Lee Burke and Ace Atkins are another two great mystery authors (they are in my top five. I have a hard time picking one favorite author so I try and limit it to five if anyone asks). :)
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Sal10e - I like Nora Roberts too, and her books as J. D. Robb as well. I am a big fan of James Lee Burke.

I like your other ideas about James Rollins and Ace Atkins and will try them. Thanks for the suggestions.

I really like variety as well and read a lot of different types of books. It just depends on how I am feeling at the time I go to the library or the bookstore.

I do like Janet Evanovich, but I can only really get into the Stephanie Plum series. Several of my friends like her other character, but I don't think it is as funny. I had to stop reading about Stephanie in public because usually people who laugh uproariously while sitting alone get some strange looks (and then they come and take you away). I can't think right now of another author that makes me laugh so much. And I thought I had bad luck and a crappy job until I read about her. (Okay, she is fiction, but what the heck!!)

Return to “Everything Else”