• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Lukewarmth
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

I was reading The Children's Book by A.S Byatt but, although beautifully written, it just didn't hold my attention so I ditched it for The Kite Runner. I've only just started it so haven't formed an opinion yet but I've heard it's brilliant.
Aomame
Book Nut

Unread post

The Kite Runner. I've only just started it so haven't formed an opinion yet but I've heard it's brilliant.
Lukewarmth, can you update me later if you liked it? I received it as a gift, but for some (unknown) reason it does not make me want to take it off the shelf and start it..... I hope to overcome the hurdle with your input :)
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
skybornworks
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm reading a book called Make Enemies & Gain Fans by the advertising agency SNASK. It's a book about young three entrepreneurs facing the challenging world of business. So far I've had some really good laughts. It's simply a great read for every young creative out there thinking about starting your own business. Filled with fun, weird, yet honest stories that has boosted my own confidence.
We All Need Heroes - Stories of the Brave and Foolish!
http//www.weallneedheroes.com
spicykiss
Official Newbie!

Unread post

A Spy by Nature: my father gave it me. I'm half way through and although I'm still a youngster and so might be speaking out of turn, well... I must say, 'Most of this must be stretching the truth of things rather.' I'll keep going and make another post once I'm done.
Last edited by spicykiss on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Spy by Nature
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer... I can't recall offhand the title of the book. As with his other works, I am captivated by the narrow world he operates in... it speaks to me. I put aside V. by Thomas Pynchon and will try to gather myself for a second attempt once I finish the Singer book.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
smblomker
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Right now I'm reading Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Its the second book in the caster series. Now that the first one is now a movie.
Christine134
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Book 5 of the Mortal Instruments series: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Claire
LaGraziana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I just started 'The City of Marvels' by the Catalan writer Eduardo Mendoza. It's about the rise of Barcelona from a rather unimportant provincial town at the Mediterranean coast to the thriving Catalan metropolis that it is today. It starts with the preparations of the first World Fair hosted by Barcelona in 1888 when the protagonist, a boy from the countryside, arrives in the city in search of work.
Edith LaGraziana
http://edith-lagraziana.blogspot.com
Lukewarmth
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Aomame, I finished The Kite Runner last week and really enjoyed it. It's moving, funny in places and gives a great insight into Afghanastani life before and after their troubles started. It's a quick read, very gripping and deals so well with the themes of regret and forgiveness. In my opinion it definitely lives up to the hype and I'd strongly recommend it. I'm now looking forward to reading Hosseini's following book A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Has anyone read Eleven by the english comedian, Mark Watson? I've just started it.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

I've just started reading The Blake Soul by I.C. Camilleri, another Goodreads author. I've just finished Mama Tina by Christina Noble which was a very moving account of her work with underprivileged children in Vietnam and Mongolia. A truly amazing woman who makes me feel quite guilty that I have not made any direct contribution to these poor children who have such a tough and undeserved life.
Last edited by rchapman1tewantin on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony

Return to “What are you currently reading?”