• In total there are 21 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"Bible miracles are allegorical". What does that really mean?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: "Bible miracles are allegorical". What does that really mean?

Unread post

DWill wrote:there was initially little concern with the biographical details of an actual man.
of course not, because the lamb of god who walks on water and can even turn it into wine has nothing to do with history and everything to do with transformation of consciousness.

he aint history, his life is an illustration of the particular teaching represented by his allegorical story.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Well, a lot of his stuff (attributed to him) wasn't allegorical but intended as wise sayings or startling remarks against the mores of the day. This is Mack's finding especially in the early going of the Jesus movements in the first part of the First Century. The eschatology and apocalypse tended to be later additions or elements not favored by all groups.

Jesus became the name of a school, or schools, with a school's new ideas being attributed to the titular head, much in the tradition of the many Hellenistic schools of philosophy in that time.

All of this Mack's information, of course
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

DWill wrote:Well, a lot of his stuff (attributed to him) wasn't allegorical but intended as wise sayings or startling remarks against the mores of the day.
but even in the stuff that doesn't appear allegorical there is esoteric meaning often, if you know the symbolism.

the bible is so chock full of esoteric meaning that it easily stuns me still after decades of study.
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

grizzlyman wrote:
youkrst wrote:
grizzlyman wrote:When I refer to miracles, I mean specifically the unnatural events claimed by Christianity to have happened in defiance of verifiable natural laws.
can we pick one? i mean can you give one as a specific example?
Water into Wine (John 2: 1-11)

Water being changed/poured into wine can represent transformation from one ideological state to another. Ceremonially it might represent change in our perception of a person or a society – nonbelievers turned into believers – marriage into, or attachment to Royal lineage, and so on. It may also symbolise apotheosis or deification – the elevation by decree of someone to sainthood or divine status.

During a Catholic mass the Eucharist ceremony symbolically represents the changing (transubstantiation) of the host and wine into the Flesh and blood of Christ. The change is not physical, it is a perceptual change that is imagined only in the human mind and is entirely dependant on ones belief. The ceremony reinforces a congregation's acceptance of Christian belief.

Turning plain water into wine absent the required ingredients and due processing is not possible. The water and wine are symbols and the story an allegory.
Small correction. Transubstantiation is the belief that wine and bread are physically changed into the flesh and blood of Christ. In the Catholic mind set this is not a symbolic transformation but an actual miracle that happens at each mass and has its roots in the last supper not the first miracle.
grizzlyman
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Ptimb wrote: Small correction. Transubstantiation is the belief that wine and bread are physically changed into the flesh and blood of Christ. In the Catholic mind set this is not a symbolic transformation but an actual miracle that happens at each mass and has its roots in the last supper not the first miracle.
Thanks for the correction Ptimb, I should have enclosed the Catholic mass Eucharist paragraph in brackets.

Nevertheless, whether we quote Matthew 26: 17-30; Mark 14: 12-25; Luke 22: 7-20. (Last supper), or John 2: 1-11 (Wedding), the hidden message remains the same. The water into wine stories, allegorize a change in public perception of an individual or social situation.

The Catholic belief that a supernatural transformation takes place during the Eucharist ceremony marks a dividing line between theist and non-theist and relies on a congregation's unquestioning acceptance of religious dogma. I believe these claimed unnatural 'events' can be rationalised, but only in the form of dramatised allegory outlined in the eBook 'Miraclescam'. The introduction is free to read at: http://www.miraclescam.com.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

grizzlyman wrote:The water into wine stories, allegorize a change in public perception of an individual or social situation.
i disagree, i think the ultimate meaning encoded is that of a change of consiousness. a change within you a change within me.
The Catholic belief that a supernatural transformation takes place during the Eucharist ceremony marks a dividing line between theist and non-theist
rather than a diff between theist and nontheist i think it rather shows a diff between literalist dumb dumb denotation and proper reading of the metaphors connotation

it simply shows a literal understanding rather than an inward application, a psyche metaphor if you will.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
grizzlyman wrote:The water into wine stories, allegorize a change in public perception of an individual or social situation.
i disagree, i think the ultimate meaning encoded is that of a change of consiousness. a change within you a change within me.
I think changing water to wine means that we should regard ordinary life as special.
youkrst wrote:
The Catholic belief that a supernatural transformation takes place during the Eucharist ceremony marks a dividing line between theist and non-theist
rather than a diff between theist and nontheist i think it rather shows a diff between literalist dumb dumb denotation and proper reading of the metaphors connotation

it simply shows a literal understanding rather than an inward application, a psyche metaphor if you will.
youkrst is right. Transubstantiation, the miraculous conversion of the blessed sacrament into the very body and true blood of our Lord and Saviour in holy communion at the tinkle of the bell and the saying of the magic words, is centred on the Latin phrase 'hoc est corpus'. Literally, this magical Catholic incantation means 'here is the body', but in the Protestant mockery, 'hoc est corpus' was rendered as 'hocus pocus', a phrase made famous by magicians.

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a messiah out of this hat..."

Protestantism, in its more rational versions, has rejected magical views of religion for centuries, seeking to combine theism and logic. Sadly we are now seeing something of a recrudescence of magical rubbish in religion by Bullwinkle Ehrman and similar liars.
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I think there might be some merit in the belief of literal miracles especially when they are appropriated into ritual. In this way practitioners can become immersed in the allegory. It sounds contradictory but I think it works. Just a thought. I'm still trying to work this out.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
DWill wrote:Well, a lot of his stuff (attributed to him) wasn't allegorical but intended as wise sayings or startling remarks against the mores of the day.
but even in the stuff that doesn't appear allegorical there is esoteric meaning often, if you know the symbolism.

the bible is so chock full of esoteric meaning that it easily stuns me still after decades of study.
I just think that "esoteric meaning" and "knowing the symbolism" is more complicated than it might appear, which would go along with views like Mack's. By more complicated I mean that there isn't any one reading of these words that pins down what they were "really" intended to mean. If you go all-out esoteric, you're probably speaking in the context your own Jesus school, but there were others that might not have assigned these meanings. I suppose so, anyway.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Ptimb wrote:I think there might be some merit in the belief of literal miracles especially when they are appropriated into ritual. In this way practitioners can become immersed in the allegory. It sounds contradictory but I think it works.
yes, this is how the mystery schools worked.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”