• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

This is such a delightfully horrifying book. I like it so much because it doesn't have the usual foul language of the usual Stephen King, because it is the story of a nine year old girl lost in the forest.

Today we went looking for holly in our local Delamere Forest - and, OK there weren't the dreaded mosquitos, but I insisted on keeping within earshot of the road traffic. :troll: :troll:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Penelope, I remember reading that one several years ago, but the details have escaped my mind. Your general description is right on, though. I think those type of novels are actually scarier than werewolves, vampires or zombies.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes, cattleman, it's a bit 'Blaire Witch' isn't it?

I went with my husband to see 'Blaire Witch Project' a few years ago and he had bought a box of Maltesers chocolates for me. When the film ended, we both confessed to feeling quite sick, because we had been unconsciously nervously munching the whole box in our tension during the film. :D
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
thebookwheel
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm reading The Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks
The Book Wheel
www.thebookwheelblog.com
Books, Politics, + More!
Adam Wolf
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Penelope wrote:The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

This is such a delightfully horrifying book. I like it so much because it doesn't have the usual foul language of the usual Stephen King, because it is the story of a nine year old girl lost in the forest.

Today we went looking for holly in our local Delamere Forest - and, OK there weren't the dreaded mosquitos, but I insisted on keeping within earshot of the road traffic. :troll: :troll:
I came to this thread to post about a Jawsish book I'm reading titled 'Below'. It's a pretty good book so far, written by a debut author.

After reading your post I just had to comment on it. I have this tale - 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' on my bookshelf. I read it years back and enjoyed it a lot. It was, as you stated, a departure from King's usual abundance of harsh language, but nonetheless enjoyable. I believe this was a tale he penned after being hit by a pick-up truck while taking his daily walk. And you mentioned the mosquitoes... That gave me a flashback of those annoying little no-see-ums prevelant throughout the tale. Well written tale. Very immersive.

Thanks for the memories.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Stephen King is such a brilliant story teller and at one time, I read anything of his that I could get my hands on. However, the foul language sinks into your psyche and I was a young wife with young children at the time........When my husband said anything to annoy me, I used to think all of these very crude phrases courtesy of Mr. King, but if I had ever said them out loud - I don't think the family would have got over the shock.

I do remember saying to them, being a churchgoing believer at the time, that the next time anyone used the word 'Jesus' as an expletive, I would say 'Fuck'. It must have horrified them because the practice ended..... :D

Rafael Sabatini
merch_abertawe
Official Newbie!

Unread post

have just read the firebird by susanna kearsley. couldn't put it down! the story is about Nicola who works at a Russian art gallery in London. she has a 'gift' where she can see the past of any object she touches. a women brings in a wooden carving to be sold that she says was given to her ancestor by the empress Catherine of Russia. she has no providence to prove this so cant sell it. when Nicola touches the carving she 'sees' the history and knows it is the truth. the story splits between the present time to Scotland, france, Belgium and in particular Russia during the period of the jacobite rebellion of the early 18th century. Nicola learns more of the history of the firebird and its original owner, anna, but also learns a lot about herself in the process. loved it!
Sam Stilton
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi I am currently reading James and the Giant Peach (admittedly) it is to my seven year old:)- I am not sure who is enjoying it more. Every now and then I like to pick up a children's book and absorb myself into when I first read it as a child. Sam
techmyview
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I just completed "The Hobbit" and now reading "The Lord Of The Rings" by J R R Tolkien.
Reading is my Avocaion, Music is my Passion and Software Development is my Profession.
Book Reviews | My GoodRead Profile | My Technology Blog
Sam Stilton
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am currently reading Martina Cole's "The Graft" first book of hers I have read and am surprisingly enjoying it. :D Sam

Return to “What are you currently reading?”