• In total there are 69 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Musical Mom in Missouri

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Maverick_Mom
Getting Comfortable

Musical Mom in Missouri

Unread post

Hello fellow book lovers!

I am a military wife as well as a soccer / baseball / football / basketball / band mom. My family definitely keeps me busy, to say the least. Although I am currently a stay at home mom, I do have a music degree and taught school and music for a number of years.

As far as where I am from? That's a difficult question for me to answer these days. I have been living in Missouri for about 9 months, but throughout my life I've lived in 8 states and one other country. Most of my growing up years were spent in Texas and Mississippi. However, I have been gone for so long that I don't really feel like I belong to either of those places anymore. In addition to the states already listed, I have also lived in Oklahoma, South Dakota, North Dakota, Illinois and Iceland.

People often want to know where my favorite place is that I have lived. My favorite by far is the three years spent living in Iceland. Iceland is an amazing country with such varied, unspoiled landscape with everything from geysers and hot springs to waterfalls and glaciers. If you ever have a chance to go, I highly recommend it.

I have always been addicted to reading anything and everything I could get my hands on. Being raised without a television was a key reason for my insatiable appetite for reading. I remember as a young girl of 8 years old staying up far into the night feeding my hunger. If I heard one of my parents stirring around, I would pretend I had fallen asleep and quietly lay the book on my chest, heart thumping wildly as though I were doing something terrible. Usually my mom would come in my room, take the book out of my hands and turn off my light. As soon as I thought it was safe, I would turn on my lamp, pick up my book and resume my reading. No wonder it was so difficult waking me up in the mornings! Usually when I got in trouble, it was for reading while I was supposed to be doing chores. My punishment? My books were taken away. It was an awful consequence for me.

My tastes in reading vary greatly, as I'm sure is the case with most book enthusiasts. I enjoy historical fiction, mysteries, thrillers, autobiographies/biographies, science-fiction and self help books, to name a few genres.

I also love to write and have been working on a book off and on for a few years about my experiences growing up in a cultish religion and my journey out. It is slow going because the material is emotional for me. I'm not in a rush to get it out there due to the controversial nature of the things I say and reveal in it. I have every confidence that it will happen when the time is right.

Surprisingly, I have never been a member of an "in person" book club. I started one myself on facebook with just some of my friends last year. Several people signed up but few participated in the discussions and it fizzled pretty quickly. It was disappointing. I was excited when I stumbled on your site last week while surfing the net. I had never thought of searching for a online book club before. I can see I've been missing out! I look forward to meeting and interacting with you all in the future. Until then, happy reading!
The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Musical Mom in Missouri

Unread post

Welcome to the community! :-)

Return to “Everything Else”