• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Anne
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

McCarthy Cormac - The Road, its old one, but after watching movie I start to read it :)
rozysmith
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Right now I am reading Chetan bhagat new book "Half Girl Friend".its about a boy , name-madhav..who fall in love with a girl, but she refuse, after that what happen I will not mention here, because it cab be spoil you imagination, recently buy book online, when type online book store, so reach at infibeam.com, books store , there this book was in new row..instantly buy it, because previously also buy chetan bhagat novels.
Felipebf
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am reading this book on Social Philosophy

Solitude: In Pursuit of a Singular Life in a Crowded World

link:
https://www.amazon.com/Solitude-Pursuit ... 1250088607

Till the moment, it is good. Not a life changing book, but good and really actual.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Sometimes I'll read a few pieces from Roger Ebert's Book of Film. Ebert's a well-known film critic, and the book is a collection of his favorite writings about film. Maybe a couple hundred selections, from short stories and novel excerpts to newspaper columns, magazine articles, interviews, segments from biographies and so on. Tonight I learned that Daryl F. Zanuck liked to read O'Henry. He read screenplays for hours every day, but he made time to read a short story by O'Henry each night.

Anyway, there's an excerpt from Klaus Kinski's autobiography in Ebert's book. The first paragraph of Kinski's description of Werner Herzog made me laugh. Herzog was a temperamental director and Kinski was a temperamental actor. The excerpt is on wikipedia. I'll put a link to it below. Ebert's book is a good one if you like movies:

His (Herzog's) speech is clumsy, with a toadlike indolence, long winded, pedantic, choppy. The words tumble from his mouth in sentence fragments, which he holds back as much as possible, as if they were earning interest. It takes forever and a day for him to push out a clump of hardened brain snot. Then he writhes in painful ecstasy, as if he had sugar on his rotten teeth. A very slow blab machine. An obsolete model with a non-working switch — it can't be turned off unless you cut off the electric power altogether. So I'd have to smash him in the kisser. No, I'd have to knock him unconscious. But even if he were unconscious he'd keep talking. Even if his vocal cords were sliced through, he'd keep talking like a ventriloquist. Even if his throat were cut and his head were chopped off, speech balloons would still dangle from his mouth like gases emitted by internal decay.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Klaus_Kinski
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Felipebf,

That's an interesting book. What is fueling your desire to read about this subject?

I agree that we're all so connected and linked but in increasingly shallow ways. The meaning of these relationships has been diluted to almost nothing.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
peacegoddess
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I just now finished The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. Fiction. Tale of three women in post WWll Germany. One of the best books I have read in years. Reminds me of All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Has anyone read either of these books?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I read "All the Light We Cannot See" and thought it was excellent. Haven't read "The Women in the Castle" yet, but will look into it. Another book with a similar theme you might like is "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I'm currently reading Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, and listening to The Rise and Fall of the D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson.

Wealth of Nations is interesting so far, although I will admit I am not very far into it yet.

On deck is Mr Rogers: A Biography of the Wonderful Life of Mr Rogers by Jennifer Warner
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I just started From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas L. Friedman. My next door neighbors have become close friends to me and my family and they're from Lebanon. We discuss the Middle East quite often and I'd like to actually know a bit about their nation's history so that I can better relate to their stories and experiences.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Oooooh that looks interesting. I'll have to make room in the to read "pile" for that one.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”