• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Good political books?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Re: Good political books?

Unread post

In the spirit of conspiracy theories and my wishes for the full Book Talk community check out this little gem:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_pQyfT180
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

https://www.google.com/search?q=CIA+Doc ... 24&bih=710

Read how the CIA began labeling people who questioned the Warren Commission report "conspiracy theorists." Leftists now regularly label whatever they disagree with as a conspiracy theory. Makes sense, since the left has allied itself with the intelligence agencies in America. I don't know WHY the Democrats think that FBI and CIA spooks like Comey and Soetoro are on their side, but that's what they think.

And equating an observation about the shrouded circumstances surrounding Obama's birth with the Holocaust? Really? Kind of diminishes the magnitude of the Holocaust, don'cha think?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

KindaSkolarly wrote:Barry entered the American university system using that name.
I found a few articles about the timing of the name change. Are you wrong, or are the fact-checking sites wrong?

https://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/was-o ... n-the-usa/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... t-born-us/
KindaSkolarly wrote:And speaking of his legal career, he began it with a lie. On his application to the Illinois BAR he said he'd never gone by any name other that Barack Obama:
Are you thinking it was intended for him to list all names he's ever used? From what I recall, that isn't the intent, based on what the ARDC said years ago when this conspiracy theory was in infancy. It was for former full names as previously listed on the Illinois master roll. Is the ARDC in on the conspiracy?
KS wrote:Leftists now regularly label whatever they disagree with as a conspiracy theory.
There's a ton I disagree with that I don't label as a conspiracy theory. Because most of what I disagree with isn't a conspiracy theory. But here, you've definitely posted a few conspiracy theories.

That doesn't mean you're wrong, necessarily. Whether or not you're wrong is shown by very specific facts directly related to your claims. Of course, when you question the source of every fact shown to you, there's no help.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
TEKennelly
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Edmund Burke's "Reflections on the Revolution in France" and Thomas Paine's "The Rights of Man" are excellent introductions to modern political polemics. They are interesting, readable and very compelling works that provide a view of the the Right and Left at their best.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Unread post

Yes, good titles both. I was reading from "The Rights of Man" just recently. Thanks for mentioning those.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

LevV wrote: Obama is the son of Malcolm X: Because, you know, black people. This charmer popped up on Atlas Shrugged, Pamela Geller’s anti-Muslim website. (Geller is also known for obsessing over Shariah turkeys she believes are destroying Thanksgiving.)

Obama is the son of Frank Marshall Davis: The conspiracy film Dreams From My Real Father espouses the theory that Davis, a leftist activist, was not only Obama’s ideological mentor but his biological father. Related: Obama got a nose job to make his nose look less like Davis’.
Okay, that was a hilarious post. You have a talent for sarcasm.

Some tidbits:

Margaret Truman wrote a biography of her father. I liked it -- a different perspective. Margaret wanted to be an opera singer. She wasn't bad and scored a role in something (I forget) . The President and her family attended. The critics were not kind. This ticked Truman (aka the Senator from Pendergast) off no end.

Another interesting political book is Primary Colors by Joe Klein (released with the author as Anonymous.)
Joe Klein also wrote a sparkling biography of Woody Guthrie which cannot have been an easy thing to do.

A Soldier's Story, Omar Bradley bio.
The Marines of Autumn, good Korean War novel by James Brady
Eisenhower: Soldier and President (The Renowned One-Volume Life) Stephen E. Ambrose
Abraham Lincoln; The Prairie Years; The War Years Carl Sandberg
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
Tony Theroux
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I suppose you have read All the President's Men? That's a good one.
And everyone should read all the books of John Pilger e.g. Tell me no Lies, Hidden Agenda, etc. etc.etc., and all the books of Noam Chomsky.
Tony Theroux
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The works of Susan George.

Return to “Current Events & History”