• In total there are 89 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 86 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

To Chris

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

To Chris

Unread post

Where's the story I typed up about my experience as a JW? I don't see that forum here anymore. Did you move the story somewhere else or delete it?Cheryl Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

To Chris

Unread post

You were not addressing me but... Its there now.Later Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a wellpreserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting..."Holy Crap...what a ride!"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

To Chris

Unread post

Cheryl, that story should still be there. And I'd love to put it on a special page, but there are a few places with swear words from what I remember. I don't want to edit your writing, but I feel weird about putting up that version. Want to discuss it? Maybe we can edit a few words!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: To Chris

Unread post

Uh..."swear words"!?!?!Chris, I think I saw your balls in a dumpster up here in NJ...should I send them down to you? Mr. P. But atheism is no more a religion than not playing chess is a hobby. - Robert Sawyer - Sci Fi AuthorI'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)"The Sentient may percieve and love the universe, but the universe cannot percieve and love the sentient. The universe sees no distinction between the multitude of creatures and elements which comprise it. All are equal. None is favored...It cannot control what it creates and it cannot, it seems, be controlled by its creations (though a few might decieve themselves otherwise). Those who curse the workings of the universe curse that which is deaf. Those who strike out at those workings fight that which is inviolate. Those who shake their fists, shake their fists at blind stars." - Michael Moorcock in the "Queen of the Swords"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

LOL I know I know.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Thanks Frank. Chris,This is non-religious, fairly liberal site, and you're concerned about some swear words?! Cheryl Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

From what I remember that swear word I am referring to is "fuck." Even on a liberal site an "article" probably shouldn't have that particular swear word. Using such words in posts is fine, but once it is posted in an actual article it seems inappropriate. I'll have to look it over again, but I remember reading it feeling this is such an awesome story...but then I ran across that word. I am ok with that word, but I just thought everyone might not be.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Chris,Ah, I see. If it was an "article" of a philosophical or scientific nature, I probably wouldn't think it appropriate to use swear words. This, however, is more of an autobiographical story. It's full of emotion and may stir emotions. There are portions of the story that some people may find offensive because of the content rather than the swearing. Either way, I'm not inclined to change it because of the sensibilities of others. I wrote from my experience, and some of those experiences caused me great sadness and intense anger. I tried to express that both in what I said and in the way I write. If others don't like that, they certainly don't have to read it. And I wouldn't be opposed to posting a disclaimer with it that it has some harsh language, but I have no intention of editing it out of fear that some might be offended by the language. So if you're not comfortable posting it as an article, I'm fine with merely leaving it as a post.Thanks Cheryl Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I am with Cheryl on this. It is a personal story and words, even words some people want to make worse than what they are...a word...should be used for effect.Or should we start burning books like other ig'nant groups of the past?Mr. P. But atheism is no more a religion than not playing chess is a hobby. - Robert Sawyer - Sci Fi AuthorI'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)"The Sentient may percieve and love the universe, but the universe cannot percieve and love the sentient. The universe sees no distinction between the multitude of creatures and elements which comprise it. All are equal. None is favored...It cannot control what it creates and it cannot, it seems, be controlled by its creations (though a few might decieve themselves otherwise). Those who curse the workings of the universe curse that which is deaf. Those who strike out at those workings fight that which is inviolate. Those who shake their fists, shake their fists at blind stars." - Michael Moorcock in the "Queen of the Swords"
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Down with sensorship!Hell no we won't go! This is fun!!! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a wellpreserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting..."Holy Crap...what a ride!"

Return to “Everything Else”