• In total there are 65 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

An introduction

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
qwaszxter
Getting Comfortable

An introduction

Unread post

Hi everyone,

I've been here for a few weeks, and am just now getting around to introducing myself.

My name is Jan. I live in BC, Canada. I am a postal worker, and a volunteer dispatcher for our rural fire department and highway rescue. I sat on the board of our local public library for many years.

I have always loved books. Growing up in such a rural area, we had one tv channel, and no movie rental stores. The tv was in the basement, in a corner, and rarely turned on. In the living room, were shelves of books. My whole family read at least 3 books a week each.

My greatest joy was getting a parcel from my Great-Grandmother who lived in Vancouver and had a used bookstore on her block. It didn't matter what she sent, I read it.

I sold books on the internet from about 1996 to 2001. I had 6000 books in my basement at the time (our local library has 4000). It was a great business, but then came 9-11. My customer's were American, and the extra security at the border meant a book ordered from my store would take at least a month to show up. Little wonder my customers purchased elsewhere.

When I retire in about 17 years, it is my dream to own a small bookstore. A working retirment - but at a job I love.

Because we live in such a small rural town, finding people with similar interests in books is difficult. Our town holds the distinction of most churches per capita in Canada.... so you can imagine how difficult it would be to start a discussion group here!

I found my way to Booktalk through a google search for philosophy discussion.

I am finding that I am thinking on a different level than most of the posters here.... my questions are a bit simple, on topics that have probably been discussed to death already. I have more to learn, than to contribute at this point. But that will change. :-)

My current and recently read book list contains:

Books about food and the food industry: My Year of Meat, Omnivore's Dilemna

Books about philosophy: Sophie's World, Philosphy for Dummies

World history books: Ideas - A History from Fire to Freud; A History of God

Books on religion: End of Faith, A History of God, God is Not Great.

Books on thinking: Logical Arguments, Critical Thinking.

I have just started the Lucifer Effect, and plan to participate in the discussion.

Whew!!

Now a question: Is there a poster here with infinite patience, and a love of teaching, who would be willing to be my mentor? Who wouldn't mind answering the 'dumb' questions, explaining things in simplier terms, etc?

Well, morning coffee is done, thanks for 'listening'! :-)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Welcome to the forum, Qwaz. I hope you don't mind me shortening your s/n. Qwaszxter is a bit of a mouthful, and I'm not sure that I can remember the proper spelling, so it might be Qwaz from here on out.

If you have any specific questions about philosophy, post them to the philosophy forum, and I'll do my best to address them. I studied philosophy in school, and have been trying to continue studying the subject in my post-collegiate years. I like going back over the basics, to refresh myself, so I certainly won't mind fielding any questions you might have. Just be advised, there are a number of philosophers I haven't gotten around to, or who I've only read a little about. But if your curiosity is specifically about those guys, maybe there will be someone else around BookTalk who can answer instead.

Hope you like the place. See you around.
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Hi Jan, welcome to Booktalk. It seems like this would be a good place for you since many of the books you just listed have been discussed here in the past.

Don't worry about dumb questions, you'll find that all most of us do is ask or answer dumb questions.

My advice to you is to find a thread that appeals to you and dive right in.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Qwaz is a bit easier to hanlde than you full screen name. :hmm:

You've got quite an interesting Introduction.
My greatest joy was getting a parcel from my Great-Grandmother who lived in Vancouver and had a used bookstore on her block. It didn't matter what she sent, I read it.
This had to have been wonderful. Throughout my life I've read anything and everything I can get my hands on. Usually, it is the strange or obscure titles that stick with me the longest.

I do wish the best for you with the small bookstore dream. A few months ago I was in a small bookstore and the lady who owned it was sitting reading one of her zillions of softcover books. It made me more than a bit jealous. My job and life are extremely fast-paced and stressful. What a satisfying and peaceful existence it must be to sit and read and think all day. She looked so happy. And when I engaged her in discussion she was quick to refer several good books to me. What a life...a big comfy chair, hot coffee and good books all around me.

I'm glad you found us. Welcome to the community. :)
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Qwaz,

This is such an interesting intro.

What you write about your grandmother reminds me of a story from my childhood that to me was even better than Christmas.
One day, I was about ten and I was returning home from school (probably grumbling a little, as I thought the walk to school was too long and it was also raining).
In the morning I had found a torn ten Franc banknote on the ground, and then I had forgotten all about it once at school.
Then on the way back, I remembered, and the note was still in my pocket: It seemed to be a godsent, I was going to buy books! (not that I lacked for anything or didn't have books at home).

When I got home, I managed to convince my Mom to drop everthing and take me to the bookshop. We bought three children's book with my banknote (this was in the 1960's, with the equivalent in Euros today I would only get one book). The Christmas decoration were on at the bookshop, it was bliss!
Ophelia.

Return to “Everything Else”