• In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why was I never so lucky?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Evelyn, I changed the age to 14 because it makes the situation a little less gray, but there have been cases similar to the one Chris posted about that involved 14 year olds and younger, so it's not irrelevant.

You're correct that homophobia probably plays a role in the male-male scenario, but what I find interesting is that even those liberals who would vote the "right" way on matters like gay marriage, would probably have a similar reaction to their openly homophobic counterparts in the male-male scenario.

But even if it were possible to remove homophobia from the scenarios, the sex of the teacher and the sex of the student would both play important roles. It seems to be assumed that the female in all of these scenarios is more fragile and less likely to be predatory. The males are assumed to stronger and more likely to be predatory. What I find remarkable is that this seems to be the case in spite of the fact that we generally recognise that teenage females are both physically and mentally more mature than males.

As for my gender, I am androgynous. I hope you find this knowledge of use ;-)
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Hi Niall,

Your scenerios are thought provoking and I agree with your order. The male with male would probably be the most publicly outraged because I think to a lot of people it's still the most shocking. Even though homosexuals are more out in the open in this day and age, homophobia is still so present in soceity.

I also find the double standard interesting for a male teacher with a female student versus a female teacher with a male student. You are correct, we were always taught in health class in school that girls mature faster than boys, both physically and mentally. So with this assumption, taking a boy and a girl of the same age, the girl supposedly would be the most mature (I'm sure not in every case). But yet we are more outraged about the victimized young girl. Psychologically do we have a need to think of girls as more pure and innocent or less sexual at that age than boys? Or is it just a gender difference that we assume girls are being taken advantage of while boys are gaining "experience"?

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this subject. I don't have children yet so I don't know how I would feel but I hope I would feel outraged no matter what the sex of my child.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Constance963 wrote:Psychologically do we have a need to think of girls as more pure and innocent or less sexual at that age than boys? Or is it just a gender difference that we assume girls are being taken advantage of while boys are gaining "experience"?

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this subject. I don't have children yet so I don't know how I would feel but I hope I would feel outraged no matter what the sex of my child.
It may be a macho thing...but has it not been more prevalent in the past to have older men and younger women being matched for marriage? Maybe I am wrong about that.

Another reason I can see regarding why it is worse Man/girl as opposed to Woman/boy is that a young girl can get pregnant and be left holding the bag so to speak, whereas a young boy getting a teacher pregnant has more chance of not being discovered and the impact on the boy less. No matter what, the girl has to deal with the pregnancy and thus is more a victim of this if things go that far.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

misterpessimistic
Another reason I can see regarding why it is worse Man/girl as opposed to Woman/boy is that a young girl can get pregnant and be left holding the bag so to speak, whereas a young boy getting a teacher pregnant has more chance of not being discovered and the impact on the boy less. No matter what, the girl has to deal with the pregnancy and thus is more a victim of this if things go that far.
True, pregnancy may play some part - I think if I was the teenage girl that the pregnancy issue would be my parents' fear. But I also think it is almost in regards to the act of sex itself....not to get too graphic...but the sense that a girl is more "violated" than a boy? If that makes sense?
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Constance963 wrote:
misterpessimistic
True, pregnancy may play some part - I think if I was the teenage girl that the pregnancy issue would be my parents' fear. But I also think it is almost in regards to the act of sex itself....not to get too graphic...but the sense that a girl is more "violated" than a boy? If that makes sense?
I can see that no doubt. Our society is male dominant and thus the woman is viewed as someone to be protected. I was just drawing in the pregnancy issue as to why the violation may mean more towards the woman.

Mr> P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
jales4
Intern

Unread post

There is that, but also, from a female perspective, I think females are more emotional about sex, and would be more likely to suffer mental anguish after a scenario as described above. I can't speak from a male perspective, but I *think* that rather than feeling regret, most might feel a sense of pride.

This, however, does not explain how I feel about Niall001's imaginary situation. I also agreed with Niall001's order. I hope though, that my reaction isn't due to homophobia, but instead, due to the high level of emotion that I imagine a young boy would feel in this situation.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I agree with you. Most males would feel lucky and rather proud to have been selected by an older female for a sexual liaison. Males view it as an accomplishment and an indication of their desirability, while women tend to live their whole lives fending off the advances of oh-so-horny males. An older male pursuing a younger female is viewed as a prey / predator relationship.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

We now have a "User Map" link at the top of the screen. Please feel free to check it out and if you want to add a push pin to the map do so in your profile. :)
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I agree with you. Most males would feel lucky and rather proud to have been selected by an older female for a sexual liaison. Males view it as an accomplishment and an indication of their desirability, while women tend to live their whole lives fending off the advances of oh-so-horny males. An older male pursuing a younger female is viewed as a prey / predator relationship.
I dunno Chris, I think that there are plenty of teenage girls who seem would have a similar reaction to pulling an older man.

Return to “Current Events & History”