• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

British Teacher guilty for naming Teddy Bear "Muhammad&

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Mad
(Incidentally, I'm addressing you in a separate post because I think you would do well to distance yourself from Frank's position, even if you agree on some specifics. You've been much more willing in the past to at least try to see the other point of view. I certainly don't want to treat the two of you as though your points of view and approaches to the subject were identical, because I think that does you less credit than you deserve.)
Divide and conquer huh Mad?

Nice try.

I especially like the little slight you threw in at the end there.

Most unkind.

Later
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

KHARTOUM, Sudan - A British teacher jailed for insulting Islam after allowing her students to name a teddy bear Muhammad was released Monday when Sudan's president pardoned her, a British Embassy spokesman said.
See the rest of the article here

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_ ... sh_teacher

Well the lady was pardoned, so at least the governmental body has some sense. Now if we could just get the individual fanatics to be as forgiving.

Later
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:
KHARTOUM, Sudan - A British teacher jailed for insulting Islam after allowing her students to name a teddy bear Muhammad was released Monday when Sudan's president pardoned her, a British Embassy spokesman said.
See the rest of the article here

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_ ... sh_teacher

Well the lady was pardoned, so at least the governmental body has some sense. Now if we could just get the individual fanatics to be as forgiving.

Later
Very nice! I saw this and was going to post it. Thanks for beating me to it Frank.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Mr. P.
Very nice! I saw this and was going to post it. Thanks for beating me to it Frank.
No sweat

Later
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:I'm sorry that I can't afford to buy a book on every subject that we discuss, and am forced to do my research in other ways.
The book Mr. P and I were reading was available free online, was less than 200 pages in length, and is routinely cited as one of most concise and reputable histories of the Witch Crazes. Maybe you don't have internet access?
You seem to lack a fundamental knowledge of the way things work in the real world and in my opinion it hurts your arguments.
Why don't you tell me sometime about the real world. Sounds like information I could use.
Divide and conquer huh Mad?
Divide, yes. But conquer is your M.O. I think there's still half a chance that Mr. P can be persuaded to help make this a discussion forum, rather than an extended ideological wrestling match, which is what you seem to prefer. Whether or not he agrees with me on the issue of religion is beside the point.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Mad
The book Mr. P and I were reading was available free online, was less than 200 pages in length, and is routinely cited as one of most concise and reputable histories of the Witch Crazes.

And after reading it you still came to a bad conclusion and looked rather silly by the end of the debate.
Mad
Why don't you tell me sometime about the real world? Sounds like information I could use.
Your brain is way too clouded by philosophy, you wouldn't get it.
Mad
Divide, yes. But conquer is your M.O.
So sue me.
Mad
I think there's still half a chance that Mr. P can be persuaded to help make this a discussion forum, rather than an extended ideological wrestling match, which is what you seem to prefer.
Hey, you're the one getting all wound up in a tizzy here; I just agreed with Mr. P. that your actions on this board (despite what you want to call yourself) are not and have not been the actions of a moderate.

Later
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Not to interrupt this positively fascinating bout of off-topic naval-gazing, but Frank would you mind telling me the actions of a moderate would look like in your opinion?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Niall
Frank would you mind telling me the actions of a moderate would look like in your opinion?
How about NOT defending religion at every opportunity?

Why not admit, based off of the information available that the Muhammad teddy bear incident is the result of religious intolerance, that it was unjustified, silly and dangerous?

I think a moderate could do that.

Instead we get a plethora of "possible" secular reasons that allow the law to exist, so it can't be the religions fault.

Mad says that he does not feel that it is necessary for him to criticize religion because it is already covered well enough by the atheists.

Apparently he has little or nothing to offer in that category.

Yet he jumps in at every opportunity to defend religion, even when several other theists are already on the case.

I guess Mad does not think much of the other theist's arguments.

In other words Mad feels the need to defend religion but not to criticize it.

Furthermore his arguments nearly always portray religion as the victim, or its abuse by a secular authority, hence alleviating it of the responsibility for the atrocities carried out in its name.

I think a moderate would accept the atrocities and argue for the good religion does, rather than make a lame attempt at displacing blame.

Just my opinion

Later
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Frank wrote:How about NOT defending religion at every opportunity?
I really think this is where the hang-up is between Frank and Mad, whenever this issue comes up. Frank sees Mad as "defending" religion. And, I think anyway, Mad does not look at what he is doing in the same way. Rather his intention is to get a fuller understanding of the root causes of any issue
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Irish
In the meantime, I'm not sure who you mean by "others" here:

I presume you mean Mr. P., and possibly Chris, though I'm hoping I'm wrong on both counts. But let me personally distance myself from those "others."
I'll say this; the apologist label was not my doing, even though I agree with it, but I will not speak for anyone else as far as giving names. More than a few people that I have chatted with agree that Mad is no moderate. Most of them have been around for quite a while now and have more experience with Mad's methods.

Later

Return to “Current Events & History”