• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Amazon's Kindle

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

I very much doubt that book publishers will make electronic copies of texts available along with a printed text for the simple reason that this would make the pirating of a book much easier.

Of course, if readers of this sort become popular, then we will probably find ourselves in a situation where it will become easier to find pirated copies of a book online anyway so, I'll probably wait and see.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I don't see how it would make it any easier than simply making an electronic version available online, regardless of whether or not it's available to people who have bought the online version.
lemme think
Master Debater

Unread post

Just received my Kindle today, Happy Birthday to me! (though it was a bit late since Amazon can't keep these things in stock)

My interest in this little gadget really surprised my husband. I'm not really a "gadget" person, and pretty conservative when it comes to spending money, but for some reason this really caught my eye.

I like the fact I can get a sample of a book before committing to buy, without having to go to Barnes and Noble! I'm reading a sample of Susan Jacoby's book right now, haven't decided whether I'll commit to purchasing yet . . .

This is great for those that have difficulty committing! :roll:
Q
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Recently Penguin Books have announced that they will make an electronic copy of their paper printed books, simultaneously I understand. I think other publishers will follow. Amazon is a distributor, these are publishers, I think that's significant.

Other news, Amazon have now got their own Print on Demand set up (and they have warned that they will stop making rival POD books available through their net - shame on you Mr Bezos!). So technically Amazon are getting into the publishing business too: with the digital link that's the basis of POD.

And yet another, there is some research into making thin flexible displays - sheets about the thickness of heavy cardboard that show print and picture much like printed paper does.

The huge difference I think is that these displays (Kindle, Sony Reader) are showing their content in reflected light and a monitor display does so by blocking off transmitted light.

Kindle works on the Sprint network for now. I don't know if it also makes content available through the standard IP internet protocol, but overall I suspect that:

#The 'readers' will become really cheap, not more expensive than hardcover books and may have only a few features.

#They will be distributed over global networks, the world wide web.

#Publishers and distributors will tend to merge.

#Some form of filtering out junk, the job editors do at publishers (as distinct from self published) will emerge. Perhaps editors that 'brand' the downloads with their name and reputation - something recognizable to the reader as guaranteeing some quality.

Whatever, it all goes together with the demise of the small bookstores and the present situation of the Big Publishers taking on well known published authors, even as in the case of Stephen king and J.K. Rowling, deriving the better part of their income from a single (or just a few) authors.

'nuff said.

:laugh: Q
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

kindle

Unread post

400? :laugh:

Wow. Keep it!

I'm sorry that I don't have anything more intelligent to add to this conversation. It's just that, 400?!?!? You gotta be kidding me!!! They're trying to duplicate a paper page? Why? For what? Noooooooo, this is an item that has yet to see its time come. Paper is far more respectable.

This really makes me wonder. While wealthy readers nab these things up, those without a lot of money will continue buying books made the old fashioned way. Then, in the future, everyone will shift to the more cost effective electronic books and only those with money will be able to afford books made from earth materials.

Enjoy the printed word on paper.

Besides, half the fun is building a book collection. What are you going to show friends? Your megabytes???

Return to “Science & Technology”