• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Sweeney Todd (film)

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Sweeney Todd (film)

Unread post

Anybody else waiting with bated breath?

Much as I normally appreciate both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter's work, I'm not sure either are perfectly cast in these roles. So that, in truth, makes me nervous. But I think Tim Burton is a great choice as director for this film, so I'm going to engage in a bit of trust there. I also think Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall are both great castings for Judge Turpin and Beadle Bamford, respectively. And, of course, you can't go wrong with Stephen Sondheim, the greatest living American composer/lyricist.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Dammit, I meant for this to go in "Arts and Entertainment." :oops: Is there any way to transfer it?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Sure, I'll move it right now. :)
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

No takers? Considering the various players involved in this film, and the different elements of storytelling, I'd imagine there would be others anticipating the impending release. I've been waiting for this film to come out for so long, I forgot when I first heard about it. Here's a behind-the-scenes clip to see if it excites interest.

BTW, thanks for correcting my error, Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

irishrose wrote:No takers? Considering the various players involved in this film, and the different elements of storytelling, I'd imagine there would be others anticipating the impending release. I've been waiting for this film to come out for so long, I forgot when I first heard about it. Here's a behind-the-scenes clip to see if it excites interest.

BTW, thanks for correcting my error, Chris
I think I will pass on the movie. I am no fan of Depp, Carter or Burton.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Alrighty then, so that's a no.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I might see it, but Burton's recent work has been pretty disappointing, and I'm always a bit suspicious of musicals, particularly when they're adapted to the screen.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Alright, I've learned my lesson. Silence denotes disinterest. I know musicals attract only a very specific audience, I just figured I would throw it out there.

Mr.P., just wondering if you've seen Bonham Carter in Fight Club? I think that's a character/movie that you might like.

Mad, I heard Sondheim interviewed and he specifically addressed your concern regarding stage-musical to screen adaptations. He said largely the movie is just an attempt at filming the stage version of the musical. He goes on to say that Burton has definitely reinterpreted the material specifically as a film. Whether that is so, I have no idea.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

irishrose wrote:Alright, I've learned my lesson. Silence denotes disinterest. I know musicals attract only a very specific audience, I just figured I would throw it out there.

Mr.P., just wondering if you've seen Bonham Carter in Fight Club? I think that's a character/movie that you might like.
Yes I did. She was fine in that. Good movie overall and I love the premise...I too make soap in my spare time and am riddled with debt! I guess I do not DISlike these people...just neutral.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

What is this movie based on? Why is Sweeney Todd familiar to me? For some reason , I'm thinking gangland figure, but maybe I'm mixing him up with David Courtney.

Either way, if you put Johnny Depp and Tim Burton together and you've got a decent chance that I'll like the movie.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”