• In total there are 44 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

AND LADIES OF THE CLUB

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
icelimeno

AND LADIES OF THE CLUB

Unread post

Undoubtedly this book has a slow beginning. But it is definitely worth the effort. The author brings a whole town to life - Waynesboro, Ohio. Each and every character is described so vividly that I felt as though I actually knew these people. The book follows post-Civil War "Waynesboro" (a fictional name for a real city - Xenia, Ohio) through the next 50 years of the townspeople's lives. The main group of characters are the members of the Waynesboro Ladies Club. The story unfolds when Anne and Sally are 18 years old and the character list widens as each gets married, has children, etc. Before the end of the book I calculated there were almost 40 characters to keep track of - but it was well worth the effort. By the end of the book (a hearty 1,400 pages ) I was sad because I didn't want to leave the town of Waynesboro and its inhabitants. The author had succeeded in making me feel as though I knew each and every person. I've read this book 3 times in the past 15 years and will assuredly pick it up and read it again some time in the future. It took the author over 50 years of her life to complete this book (and finished it while living in a nursing home at the age of 80+ years). It was her life's work and I wish she had known before she died how many lives this book would touch. )...............................................BOOKS ON SALE 90% OFF IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH CLICK HERE
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Your review is tempting me to go buy a copy of this book. From what you've written the author poured her heart and soul into the book and it sounds like it paid off. 50 years? Wow.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
clumberknits
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I read this book a million years ago, and had forgotten all about it. I loved it!! I think it was one of the first popular books to take the idea of a group of women coming together and telling each story. Later novels that i can think of that follow this formula: How to Make An American Quilt by Whitney Otto, The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber -- and I'm sure there are many more.

Thanks for the reminder!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”