• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Official Poll - Jan. & Feb. 2009 Non-Fiction Book

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

2 votes for Beyond Culture
1 vote for After Tamerlane
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Anyone want to tally these points? :bananadance:
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Anyone want to tally these points? :bananadance:
Since I am not active and have to poke my head in and show I still care....

13 Beyond Culture

12 Bad Money

2 Tamerlane

Now lets see if I lost count as I used to!

Mr. P.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

My 3 votes are for Bad Money

13 Beyond Culture

15 Bad Money

2 Tamerlane

I've read the reviews of all 3 books and find it strange that Beyond Culture has so very little written about it. This makes me nervous. It was also written a long time ago (1976) and in almost 33 years there simply aren't any Editorial Reviews on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/produc ... 55&s=books

If Beyond Culture were such a good book I'd expect to see some debate and discussion on the book, not to mention at least a half dozen editorial reviews, but the reality is people aren't talking about this book much so I don't think it would suddenly make for a great discussion topic here on BookTalk.org. And this matters to me. Then again, if a group of members think this would be fun to discuss then we could indeed have a fantastic discussion. I just think the 33 year history of this book should be considered. There are only about 8 customer reviews of this book in 33 total years.

Bad Money seems appropriate as a group discussion book because of what is happening in the financial and housing markets today. The US is losing its status as the world leader in many arenas and it is time for all of us to address what this can mean to our future. It looks like Bad Money would force us to discuss some painful realities. And the book came out a few months ago and already has 10x as many customer reviews as Beyond Culture.

The 3rd choice, After Tamerlane, doesn't appeal to me because the people most apt to discuss the book are already fairly deep into the discussion in the Additional Non-Fiction Book Discussions forum. I doubt they will have it in them to move their energy and time from that discussion into a new forum and extend the discussion for several more months. But we can allow them to speak for themselves. Besides, the book doesn't excite me the way Bad Money does.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

13 Beyond Culture

15 Bad Money

2 Tamerlane
I am going to rescind my three votes for Beyond Culture and add them to Bad Money, not so much because I have changed my mind, though you did have valid points, Chris, but because I am leaving tomorrow morning to spend the holidays with my family. This way I will be more confident that the choice will be secured and I can safely order my copy of Bad Money before I leave.

So the new count is:
Bad Money 18
Beyond Culture 10
Tamerlane 2
kbullfrog
Master Debater

Unread post

i cast 2 votes for book 2, and 1 vote for book three
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America