• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Paradise Lost, anyone?

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Paradise Lost, anyone?

Unread post

DWill suggested to me that it might be fun to have another go, as a group, at a poem or collection of poems (we tried, "A Shropshire Lad" -- remember?).

Paradise Lost

We could approach this in a similar way that is used for fiction and non-fiction selections. If enough folks are interested, Chris might even give us a whole thread next to Fiction and Non-fiction, for this purpose. DWill also mentioned including drama and I think it would fit in nicely. A thread could be set up, so that we go bit by bit through the poem. In fact, Paradise Lost is broken up into 12 "books", so that would work well. Lines or stanzas could be posted as necessary, but generally no need to post the poem - I think.

Well, what do you say DWill, want to lead us through?
Last edited by Saffron on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Sounds fun to me!
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

I don't know if I have the whole thing from college but my sister just finished reading it. Maybe she may have it. But I am interested.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Now that's what I call reading! If you folks are up for reading Paradise Lost, I'm in.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Paradise Lost, anyone?

Unread post

Saffron wrote:DWill suggested to me that it might be fun to have another go, as a group, at a poem or collection of poems (we tried, "A Shropshire Lad" -- remember?).
Paradise Lost
Well, what do you say DWill, want to lead us through?
Let's see now: "Of man's first disobedience and the fruit of that forbidden tree" something, something, something. It's starting to come back to me. The Milton prof. made us memorize the first paragraph of this extravagant, outlandish poem, so many years ago. This is almost a foreign poem to a modern age, but can you envision doing it anyway? Thanks to Saffron for putting it up, because I was thinking it might not have any wings at all. And it might not, but I'm certainly williing to give it a try. The aspect of Satan as hero of Paradise Lost is just one of the many interests people might find, who won't be reading this thinking that Milton will justify God's ways to man. The scholarship can really go crazy on this-- not my thing, really, but I can think of at least one fellow who can run away with that (you there, Thomas Hood?) I like the poem for its extremes, probably. It can be awesome in visual sweep, dark and stern, tender and lyrical, pious and dogmatic, of course wordy and baroque, but not often boring for me. It is naturally very far from contemporary in its social and religious outlook. Though written well after Shakespeare's plays, it seems much less modern.

I would imagine that any edition you get a hold of will be standard in terms of line numbering. Footnotes may help!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: I would imagine that any edition you get a hold of will be standard in terms of line numbering. Footnotes may help!
If you use the link on the first post of this thread, there are very helpful footnotes. In fact, here is the link again.

Paradise Lost with footnotes
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

Excellent. Let me know when you all want to start because I am ready to go.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill: I am wondering if I should go ahead and set up a discussion thread for Paradise Lost or would you like to do that?

Saffron
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

DWill wrote: (you there, Thomas Hood?)
DWill, I'm here, but Milton is heavy lifting.

Tom
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Tom:DWill, I'm here, but Milton is heavy lifting.

Not so much, perhaps, if one can stand to be more superficial and just go along for the ride.

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”