• In total there are 26 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"The Earth, Darkened by the Sun"

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

"The Earth, Darkened by the Sun"

Unread post

I thought the title above was mildly alarming. The story is more than that. Have you heard about the solar flares expected next year? According to the Jan. 23rd issue of The Week (my favorite magazine), "scientists are warning that we're due for a major solar storm that could knock out power to hundreds of millions of people, disrupt modern communication systems, and plunge the world into chaos." The last time that such massive flares occurred, in 1859, telegraph wires melted al over the country, causing multiple fires. Obviously, we stand to be more seriously affected by power surges that could melt transformers and "cause blackouts and computer shutdowns for as many as 130 million Americans."
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill: Your posts are full of gloom today! I think you need a counter balance. Do you know any cheerful or hopeful poems? How about whimsy?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Saffron wrote:DWill: Your posts are full of gloom today! I think you need a counter balance. Do you know any cheerful or hopeful poems? How about whimsy?
Yeah, sure, I have a good response...not sure you will like it. I might have even posted it on the late, lamented "Shropshire Lad" thread. I'll make it a Poem for the Moment.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Do you have a link for this story?

:book:
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

I saw something about this on the Science channel. A giant solar flare can totally knock out those big electrical transformers. They can't be repaired. They have to be totally replaced and they are expensive and take time to build. Now imagine that happening on a global scale. I think it was said it would probably take a wealthy industrialized nation about 10 years to fully recover. Obviously poorer countries would less able. I lived without electricity for 2 weeks after Hurricane Andrew. I don't even think emergency generators at hospitals would last very long. Chaos, looting, emergency services strained to the breaking point.

There is one way to avoid this though and it's not pretty either... you would have to intentionally shut down all electrical grids before the solar flare hits. This pretty much amounts to the same chaos as above, but it would be temporary and you might be able to salvage the transformers.
Billy C
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It looks like the article DWill references is for subscription only, but here are a couple of articles from NASA.

I'm not an astrophysicist, and don't pretend to know about these things, but it has been my understanding that solar flares are very unpredictable. So what makes us so sure the next batch is going to be so bad? The first article explains why some scientists think the next round is going to be a very active one -- probably the most active season of solar flares since 1958:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006 ... arning.htm

The second article discusses the solar flare of 1859, describing it as a "once-in-a-millennium event" (then again, how would we know?). It doesn't mention any telegraph wires melting, but does say that the flares induced currents in the wires so that operators could send messages even after disconnecting batteries:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008 ... nflare.htm
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Grim wrote:Do you have a link for this story?
Sorry, Grim. I tried, but only the current issue of The Week is available online, and this article was from the Jan. 23rd issue.

Return to “Science & Technology”