• In total there are 35 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Stephen King: Twilight Author "Can't Write Worth a Darn

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Peggy_Butler
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Trish wrote:So is the issue with music producers and publishers or is it with the artist? I personally think something is art when an artist says it is. Whether or not anyone else thinks it's good or bad is irrelevant. Charles Dickens was enormously successful in his day, not unlike the success level of Meyers. There are probably writers with better technical skill than Dickens too. So is Dickens' work for the lowest common denominator? I'm not saying there isn't bad art out there, but it's bad to me. I don't need anyone else to have my standards of what is good. If something is popular maybe it's just very well written and it resonates with people. Need good art be obscure and only appreciated by a few?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there might be a little sexism in King's comment too (although I don't think it's on purpose). When Harry Potter first came out, the author used her initials to disguise her gender so as to not bias male readers. I wonder if Stephanie Meyers would be slammed so hard if she was only known as S. Meyers. Generally speaking as a society we tend to be more critical of successful women than successful men.
I did a quick google on great authors and to be honest found very few mentions of females. Seems Anne Rice holds her own but outside of that arena there are not a lot female names in the "greatest writer of all time" category. It seems you are on to something here.

As far as how many people it takes to make art good... I would say that depends on the artist's ego. Art is art good or bad. If it gets a reaction, then you have achieved something
lexley
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I laughed so hard when I read that! He has a point though. I will admit to reading the books, and even enjoying the first two but she is a horrid writer!
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

Maybe Stephen King had a run-in with one of the many rabid fans of Twilight and decided to let it publicly be known that Twilight is not one of the greatest books of all time.
Not even close.
It's so far from that it's not even in the same dimension.

=D

But that's just my theory.
vintage34
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I just finished "Twilight" today . . . and not a moment too soon! WHY did I stick with it to the bitter, ridiculous end? Because I gave it to my daughter for Christmas, and to get back at me, she insisted that I had to read it too. I knew it was going to be a tough one, as I dislike any books or movies that are fantasy based, such as vampires, witches, sorcerers, angels, devils, spells, etc.

We were both in agreement that it was an OK book for teenagers, but a tough read for anyone over the age of consent. I can understand how high school age girls would be intrigued by the whole thing. Both my teenage granddaughter and grandson read it and saw the movie and loved both. (Age 14 and 15).

As for Stephen King? I don't like any of his books/movies either, except for "Stand By Me" and "The Shawshank Redemption".
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Trish wrote: I would hope they learn they like reading in general. It's got to be better than reading nothing ever. Real life is very harsh right now. I can't say I blame anyone for just wanting a little pure entertainment.
You are so right. What's wrong with reading because the book's fun? I've read Twilight, and though I don't really worship it, the story's fun and interesting. Really.

I think maybe someone egged Stephen King to read it 'cause it was popular. He tried, and it wasn't up to his taste - because his taste was different. That's it, I think. :ninjajig:

I thoroughly admire Stephen King. He is AH-MAY-ZING! for me, but just because he says something's bad or good doesn't mean the rest of the world should view it that way, too.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. It's good to have a diverse world. Otherwise it'd be really boring.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

It amazes me that Stephen King has the audacity to say something like that. A lot of his books are so far out there ...
Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a few of his novels, but in many cases I have had to skip past a few pages because he tends to drone on and on about ... well ... nothing!
Not every author is for every reader. Let's face it. We are a diverse culture and I think that is a good thing.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Truewest
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree with vintage 34. The Twilight novels are great if you are a 15 year old. Not so great if your Stephen King, or a cranky middle ager like myself. I think King's critique stems from the frustration of constantly being asked about a popular book in his genre. I don't think Meyer will be rocking out with Stephen King or Amy Tan any time soon.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Truewest:

Just curious, why did you put Amy Tan in the same category as Steven King, and Stephenie Meyer?
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

WOW! To be demeaned by King...

Unread post

I only wish to achieve such statehood. To have someone as accomplished as Mr King even take notice of one such lowly novelist as myself would be truly a dream... Ok, all sarcasm aside, I think it may be a Master & Commander thing. It is my way or no way at all. When someone is soiling your genera (In your opinion) and the media and public continue to harp on it, a shot across the bow is necessary. Time to take them down a peg or two. In my humble opinion, Twilight is what it is at heart, a romance series appealing to young 'agers' and has little to do with Steven King. He took his shot and will now walk away.

Yet both of these authors have achieved what I only dream of; you all know them and none of you know me. Someday maybe King will flame my novels. I will let you know how I react then... from my villa in Cannes

Gregory J. Saunders
www.gregoryjsaunders.com
Truewest
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hello Suzanne:

"The Rock Bottom Remainders" are a really bad rock band. Amy Tan and Stephen King are members.

Return to “Everything Else”