• In total there are 35 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

new and inexperienced

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

new and inexperienced

Unread post

I am very interested in reading the books and discussing the topics. However, I must warn all that I have never chatteted or frequented a forum. Please be patient while I learn the etiquette, lingo, and process! I am a teacher, home for the summer, looking for some like-minded people to share ideas with. Edited by: tarav at: 6/19/03 9:05 pm
Kostya

Welcome

Unread post

Tara,We have already met in the other thread and in the chat, so I figured I'll be the one to say hi first. Hi. I think that being a teacher is a great honor and it is a very interesting position to be in. What kind of teaching do you do? I hope you find this place enjoyable and I am looking forward to seeing your posts.Kostya.
curttheprophet

Re: new and inexperienced

Unread post

Hi Tara,I don't frequent forums or chatrooms very often either. I was attracted to this forum because of the chats with famous authors like Richard Dawkins.Are you reading Unweaving the Rainbow, or are you going to start with the Pinker book? I just finished the Dawkins book, and still have to order the Pinker. I'll get around to it sometime, I suppose.Curt.
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

Welcome!The only etiquette restriction is not to laugh at Chris's jokes in chat. If you laugh once, you'll be sorry.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Welcome

Unread post

Kostya, I am an elementary school teacher. There are many things I enjoy about teaching. Unfortunately, I don't have much in common with many elementary school teachers. Many women who work with children are church-going, baby producing, corny people, especially here in North Carolina! I moved here a few years ago and am still adjusting. I'm sure that you have a lot to say about adjusting to a move! You'll have to share some of your stories about moving here from Russia. Have you read Unweaving the Rainbow? I'd like to read it before Dawkins chats.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Hey Curt, I have not read either of the books. I just finished The Selfish Gene. In anticipation of the chat with Dawkins, I'd like to read Unweaving the Rainbow first. Did you enjoy it? Is it the kind of read I can get through quickly? I felt that The Selfish Gene was an easy and enjoyable read. I'm off for the summer so I have a lot of time to devote to reading.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Timothy, Thanks for the welcoming. I will try to heed your advice regarding Chris' jokes. Last night I did laugh, but not out loud, when he discussed this(hypothetical)bowling trick of his. Someone asked for pictures of Chris performing this extraordinary feat. Be on the look-out...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

TaravWelcome to BookTalk! I haven't read Selfish Gene yet so I'm not sure how it compares to Unweaving the Rainbow. If you can have Unweaving the Rainbow read by July 6th that would be great...but you will still enjoy the chat even if you don't.I've always thought that teaching is the most important profession out there. It is unfortunate that educators are not compensated proportionally to what they contribute to this world. I still applaud you for your chosen path in life.Its good to have you join us! Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
Kostya

Re: Welcome

Unread post

Tara,People in general are fairly conservative and it is always a challenge to find many open-minded people. I think that this is especially true for establishments such as schools. Fortunately, we still have freethinking people like you to teach our children.My move to US was quite a culture shock for me, but I am not sure I have many interesting stories to tell. I will probably never completely adjust or loose my accent, but for the most part I am starting to feel comfortable here after 10+ years. I've read "Unweaving the Rainbow" after "The Selfish Gene" and I am now reading "The Blind Watchmaker". "The Selfish Gene" is the best book by Dawkins that I've read so far. "Unweaving the Rainbow" is definitely a good book, but I felt that in the way Dawkins is preaching to a choir. I doubt that many people who are complaining that science takes away from the wonder of the world will be persuaded by Dawkins' arguments. Anyway, I hope you'll be able to read the book before the chat with Dawkins.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Rainbows and Genes

Unread post

For those who haven't read one or the other, I'd have to say that Selfish Gene is more technical than Rainbow; I found Selfish Gene one of the most interesting and enlightening books I've ever read, but would not expect everyone to appreciate it. Rainbow is written for a wider audience.Also, I'd like to mention again: Dawkins himself considers The Extended Phenotype his most important book. Since it includes and expands upon the ideas of Selfish Gene, it may fairly be said to supercede it. So if one were to pick only one between Gene and Phenotype, I am confident Dawkins would steer you to Phenotype.And everyone in the world should read The Blind Watchmaker. Science is neither a philosophy nor a belief system. It is a combination of mental operations that has become increasingly the habit of educated peoples, a culture of illuminations hit upon by a fortunate turn of history that yielded the most effective way of learning about the real world ever conceived. E.O.Wilson

Return to “Everything Else”