• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

new and inexperienced

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: new and inexperienced

Unread post

Chris, The two bookstores I went to this weekend didn't have Unweaving the Rainbow. They both did have several rows of books on spirituality(I'm in the bible belt)! Tomorrow I will call 4 more in the area. I'm sure one of them will have it. Ordering it will take too long, since I want to read most of it before the 6th. Thank you for your comments on teaching. I appreciate your sentiments and agree. If only everyone felt the same way!
Kostya

Re: Welcome

Unread post

Tara,Technically, I was capable of reading in English for many years. For example, I've read The Hobbit about 10 years ago, but I had to look every another word up in a dictionary, so it was more of a learning experience than reading. Then for many years I only read technical literature and online resources. About 3-4 years ago, a friend gave me a couple of books in English and to my surprise I was able to read them without too much of an effort. I've been reading in English ever since. Perhaps, I am at my English reading skills plateau, just like you have described. Actually, I've noticed the same pattern with learning of any other subject. At first you gain some basic knowledge and understanding of a subject very quickly and then you reach your plateau of pain and frustration when you have to work very hard with seemingly no results whatever. Then, one day something "clicks" in your head and everything that was so painfully difficult during your plateau period becomes obvious and easy. Then you reach another plateau and the cycle continues...Thank you for offering to ask my questions in the chat with Dawkins. Unfortunately, I am unable to think of any questions at the moment. I'll just read the transcripts of the chat when I come back. I am sure there will be plenty of interesting questions and answers in that discussion.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Kostya, I'm back from vacation. I was gone for a few days visiting family and friends up north. I talked religion a bit with a family member who is Catholic. She is conflicted about her beliefs. I told her that she should read Selfish Gene to get another perspective about the meaning of life. She said that she's not sure about god, but that she would feel guilty about possibly steering her sons in the wrong direction(to hell)by telling them that there is no god and teaching them about evolution instead. She was actually worried about going to hell! She was worried about how other kids would treat her sons if they found out. What can you say to people like that? I don't have children, but I told her that if I did I would want them to know truths and not just nice(and some not so nice)stories. Isn't it sad that someone who has such obvious doubts can hold onto such ridiculous fears and that fear leads to the passing on of those doubted beliefs? Maybe fear really is a big part of peoples' reluctance to accept evolutionary facts. It's craziness! Another family member discussed doubts about her religion(Jehovah's Witness). I couldn't even believe some of the things she told me about her congregation. Yet, both of my family members will probably continue believing their own special brands of nonsense. Aah, now I remember why I don't talk to my family very often!
Kostya

Unread post

Tara,I thought that Catholics have recognized the theory of evolution and such. Here is the link that explains their position on some of these things www.catholic.com/library/...lution.asp .I can understand some of the fears about teaching your child things that might make him/her become an outcast. It is a difficult choice to make. On one hand, you want your child to know the truth (or what you consider to be the truth), but on the other hand, you don't want to put her in a position that might make her life difficult at school or elsewhere...
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Kostya, Catholics are notorious for not agreeing with or following those parts of their religious doctrine they don't find convenient. What being Catholic to one person is, is totally different to another. My aunt doesn't even go to church. She wouldn't even know the Catholic churchs' position on evolution. I recommended some books to her. Maybe she'll read them and learn something, or maybe not. I took your advice and ordered some books from amazon.com.. I figured it would be easier than tracking down Pinkers' Blank Slate at the local bookstores. In the meanwhile I'm reading Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors by Sagan and Druyan.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

update

Unread post

My last post says 7/11/03. I really don't post here that much, but I did make a post or two since 2003! Another casualty of the hack... My last post was something about how much I love booktalk, and will try to post more often in this thread, blah, blah, blah... Now, that I am home with some time on my hands, I'll give you all an update. This past year I have been concerned with my career. I was very unhappy with my teaching position in an elementary school. I considered teaching college, or middle school. I considered entering a new field altogether. I considered going back to college. In the end, I decided to continue teaching. I recently accepted a teaching position in a different elementary school. If this principal lives up to his reputation, I should be much happier. If not, then I will probably get out of teaching altogether. Other than the stresses of quitting a job, job searching, and taking a new job, I have been pretty happy. I have taken up two new things. This past year I have decided to become a wine drinker. I never drank any alcohol before, so this is a big deal! I am very much enjoying the occasional glass of wine. I have also began playing tennis. I never played tennis till a month ago. I am awful! I like playing though. I am off for the summer right now. I plan on reading good books and relaxing. As always, I look forward to reading what others contribute to the booktalk site and participating in the discussions and chats!
marti1900

Re: update

Unread post

Wine gives me a headache. Red wine really gives me a headache. Gin or vodka is my drug of choice.I personally think you deserve the Medal of Sainthood for teaching elementary school. I also think too many years doing so makes a person develop a regressive personality. Juuuuust joking. You know you are in trouble if you start cutting up the meat on other adult's plates for them. It's wierd about the posts, isn't it? Some are missing, some whole threads disappeared, some only partially. Oh well, I guess none of it was deathless prose, so onward and upward, or as we say here, adelante en la lucha.I am glad to know you will be slogging on with us here. I was beginning to feel the teeniest tad alone as seemingly the only woman who posts with any regularity.Marti in Mexico
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Marti- I prefer dry red wines. Yet, I haven't had a wine that I didn't like so far! Thankfully, wine does not give me headaches. Since it took me over 30 years to drink wine, maybe I'll try gin or vodka in my 60's!Thank you for wanting to saint me! I agree with you on the regressive behavior of teachers, too. I have seen many a teacher behave that way. I have taught K and 1st. I am a strong believer in taking the time to teach children how to do tasks(like those involved in eating lunch)instead of leaning over and doing it for them. After the first month of school, children rarely have to ask me to help with any lunch time tasks. This is nice for me, since I must shove my food down my throat during the 25min. lunch also!You don't have to worry about me leaving you as the token woman here! I very much enjoy booktalk. It is the only site at which I participate. There are also a few other women who have been around for awhile. You're right though, we are not as prolific as you! I enjoy reading your posts and hope that you stick around too!
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I go back to work on 8/17/05. If I am not around as much for the next week or two it is because I'll be busy with moving into my new school and getting my classroom together. Hopefully things will go smoothly!
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am officially back to work. I have been working hard at getting moved into my room and getting my belongings unpacked at the new school. These first few days have had their ups and downs. Not only am I one of the only Yankees (as southerners unfavorably refer to transplants from north of here) hired at this school, but I am also one of the youngest on the staff. So, I am low on the totem poll and a definite outsider. Our first staff meeting ended with a circle of clasped hands and an, "Amen". UGH! However, most people have been pretty nice. The principal has been especially welcoming. Also, I am not looking to make best friends. I just want to get my job done to the best of my ability and get along professionally with my co-workers. The parents come to meet the teachers and then the kids come for their first day of school this coming week. I am looking forward to getting back to working with the kids. Wish me luck!

Return to “Everything Else”