• In total there are 190 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 189 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Hello from New England!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Hello from New England!

Unread post

Hello friends!

I have recently found a new infatuation with books. While completing my Masters degree in Educational Leadership, I was required to take a course on the philosophy of higher education where I was introduced to individuals such as Robert Hutchens and Mortimer Adler, who have influencing me to engage in the Great Conversation that has been going on since 8th Century B.C.

After completing my first year in graduate school, I purchased the Greatest Books of the Western World canon and have been reading ever since. The Dialogues of Plato kindled my love for philosophy! I have grown obsessed with reading all of the works of Aristotle, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kant, Lau Tzu, Confucius, Emerson and other famous philosophers.

I often contemplate living as Thoreau did in Walden… running off to the woods with my horde of books. Perhaps I may… as long as I have a wireless internet to keep me connected to you all and this wonderful site!

I look forward to continuing the Great Conversation with all of you.

Keep Reading,
matt
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome, Matt. I think you will enjoy BT. There are lots of interesting people here and a passion for ideas that I find very affirming. It is even kinda fun and stimulating when you get into a discussion with another other person or people that don't seem to get what your are saying or make arguments to the contrary of your point.

I hope that you will take the time to check out the Poetry Forum -- which is where I spend most of my time.

Saffron
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

A p.s. to my last post -- You have an interesting user name. I assume the UC part is University of Conn -- Jersey are you from NJ? And how about the final f?

Am I even close?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org, Matt. :smile:
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

You were close! You were right in that I am from New Jersey. Born and raised. I moved in the middle of my junior year of high school to Florida which is where I eventually earned my BA and MA. That is where the UCF part comes in --- University of Central Florida. It wasn't until recently that I was given a job here at the University of Connecticut. I've been back up north since July, and almost forgot what it was like to step outside in sub-degree weather!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

jerseyucf wrote:You were close! You were right in that I am from New Jersey. Born and raised.
Me too. I grew up in the small town, if you can call it that, of Robbinsville. It is literally (all can laugh now) at exit 7A on the NJTP - just about exactly in the middle of the state running north south and east west. And if that does give someone a picture, how about this. If you drew a triangle with Princeton being to top point, Trenton being the western foot, Robbinsville would be at about the eastern foot.
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

No kidding! Small world huh?! South Jersey is a very wonderful area, but it is interesting how different North Jersey is from the rest of the state. It is almost a state in itself! I grew up near Elizabeth and Neward in Union County. Spent the first 17 years of my life there. Great experience, but I've been questioning if I will ever end up moving back...

I think it's one of those great experiences that I would never give up, but not too sure if I would ever do it again, haha... :D
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Welcome Matt! I am an often absent moderator here, but love BookTalk and hope to always be involved here. I hope that you are enjoying participating in the forums.
I am also originally from NJ. I live down south now and it is still shockingly different from Jersey even though I've been here almost 11 years! LOL It also seems we have a common interest. I work in education and I am a trainer with a state organization that trains educators. One of the modules I teach is on Teacher Leadership. I love it. I'd love to hear more about your program of studies on Educational Leadership.
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

That great! I loved my Educational Leadership program. It is overall designed to prepare students for leadership positions in student personnel administration in higher education and education-related fields. Some of the courses included History & Philosophy of Higher Education, Finance, Organization and Administration of Schools, Legal Aspects of School Operation, Student Personnel Services in Higher Education, etc.

The bulk of the education was done through fellowships though. I was able to gain a variety of positions throughtout the college setting which has led me to my current position.

Thanks for welcoming me. (This site is phenomenal!)
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

It sounds like a great program. I am glad that you had a lot of hands-on experience. It seems they prepared you well!

Return to “Everything Else”