• In total there are 142 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 141 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What does your BookTalk.org name mean?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Saffron is a very 'arty' name isn't it. There was a little baby lived next door to my Mum in Brighton, and we used to hear it cry and the Daddy used to say, 'Cool it, Saffron!!!'

We'll call you Mellow Yellow....if you're not careful. ;-)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Thomas,

:laugh: :laugh: Ahhh, Thomas you are a very interesting gentleman.

Thomas was one of the 12 apostles who doubted the resurrected Jesus. Some say his full name was Judas Thomas.

But alas, it is your avatar that I find interesting. The majestic Cardinal. The male is unmistakable. Originally a bird of the Southeast, noted for their loud clear whistled songs.

Indeed, I believe it suits you. :smile:
Di
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

I have long been perplexed by the internet penchant for anonymity. Life is too short to hide. I am named after my maternal grandfather Robert Grant who was the town doctor in Mackay Queensland. He was born in Queensland and then joined the Black Watch regiment when he studied surgery at Edinburgh University in Scotland. My middle name John is from my paternal grandfather John Tulip, a Methodist parson born in Dalton le Dale in County Durham UK who emigrated to Queensland in 1923. Tulip is quite a common name in Durham. Also, which I like, tulip is the acrostic for the Calvinist doctrine of predestination.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I was born in County Durham, Robert, in Consett. And my great, great. grandfather was a a preacher. His name was Robert Swinburn, the Uncle of Algernon Charles Swinburn the Victorian poet. I still have some of Robert Swinburn's books. Botany and Herbals. He lived in the village of Elchester.

My mother's family still live there and her maiden name was Carrick.

If we talk long enough, we might find we're related. :eek:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote: He lived in the village of Elchester.
Does Elchester still exist?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It doesn't Tom. It was on our last road map of England but when we replaced it, Elchester was not included.

Great, Great Grandad lived at The Old Paper Mill there though. ;-)

Rafael Sabatini
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

My name is my complete first name(Tara)and the first initial of my last name(V). It is not that mysterious, nor was it meant to be! LOL However, over the years I have found that BookTalk participants often think of me as a male with the name Tarav. So, I guess it does provide some anonymity. I was named for the plantation in Gone With the Wind. My mom read the book when she was 16 and knew she would name her girl, Tara. When I turned 16 my mom gave me the book and I read it. I perfectly understand why she chose to name me, Tara. It's a great name, a great book, and I love the story behind it.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:But Leroy....that makes me laugh...because it is so American....I don't think there are many Leroys in the UK.
"4,077 people with the forename Leroy" according to Tracesmart's UK Names Directory, which out of a population of 60,975,000 isn't very many, and many may be over fifty.
I am very interested in names at the moment, as I am about to get a new grandaughter shortly and we are arguing about names. And laughing....
Grandparents love to have grandchildren named after them :)
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Thrillwriter wrote:But alas, it is your avatar that I find interesting. The majestic Cardinal.
Show-offs, aren't they? But here's a chance for me to tell a story about how I come by my pickiness naturally.

Tom: Look at the beautiful redbird hopping under the pecan tree.
Mother: (Not turning her head to look) It's not hopping.
Tom: Sure it is. It just hopped again.
Mother: (Getting angry) It's not hopping. Birds don't hop.
Tom: Sure they do. It's in the dictionary. (Gets dictionary) See here, "Birds hop."
Mother: I don't care what it says. They don't hop.
Tom: Well, if they don't hop, what do they do?
Mother: (Now quite angry) They don't hop. Hopping is on one foot. They're flatfoot jumping.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

tarav - I love 'Gone with the Wind' too. I book you never forget. I also love the film because it was so well-caste. Every character in that film was just exactly as I imagined them in the book. However, I called my daughter Emma.....after Emma Hamilton, Nelson's lady, because she came from The Wirral Peninsula, which is very close to here, and because she was so beautiful, that all the artists wanted to paint her. Her beauty has never gone out of fashion either. She still looks lovey to our eyes.

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Everything Else”