• In total there are 167 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 167 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

I too read more than one book at a time. If I'm not writing, I'm reading.
Currently I am reading ...

Men are from Mars , Women are from Venus
The picture of Dorian Gray (again)
Marley and Me

Plus, I'm editing my final draft for my third book to come out;
Highway Destinations
. Isn't life GRAND! :laugh:
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I’m currently reading “Caesar’s Legion” The epic saga of Caesar’s elite tenth legion by Stephen Dando-Collins and “Caesar” Life of a colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy.

Both are historical non-fiction

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Started into Occidentalism and The World Without Us. Recently finished Bad Money finally as well as Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler: The Age of Social Catastrophe which was epically long but definitely interesting.
Check me out, sign up for an account add your books become my friend and join the Booktalk.org group at:
http://www.anobii.com/grim

:book:
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Looking over the responses, I have noticed many of you are involved with more than one book. I have always been curious, do many of you go from one book to another in between chapters? Why not just devote all of your attention to a single book? Do you believe that reading more than one book may take away from some of the nector you may get out of devoting all of your attention and thoughts to a single work? Hey, if it helps... maybe I should be getting started on one or two more books.

:hmm:
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I do finish a book before I start another; I just mentioned the last two I read. :up:

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Jersey:
Why not just devote all of your attention to a single book? Do you believe that reading more than one book may take away from some of the nector you may get out of devoting all of your attention and thoughts to a single work? Hey, if it helps... maybe I should be getting started on one or two more books.
I read two books at once. I have an upstairs book and a downstairs book.

I read in bed, of course, don't we all? Unless, it becomes a very gripping book, then I read it upstairs and downstairs and in my lady's chamber.

I sometimes become so gripped,that I read whilst I'm ironing.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am almost finished reading the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by D. Adams. It is light entertainment.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

tarav:

I'm a great fan of Hitchiker's Guide - my favourit in the series is the one called, 'Mostly Harmless'.

I love Marvin the Paranoid Android best of all the characters. He really cheers me up. :D
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

That is funny, Penelope! I bet Marvin would be seriously depressed about the fact that he cheers you! LOL
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Sometimes I go on streaks where I read all the books by an author I have decided to like that I can find, or parallel streaks with two or three favorite authors' books going on at once. Right now I have three parallel streaks of authors.

I am on maybe my fifth or sixth reading of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I usually think it is my favorite book by her, and although I have read it several times before, I still had to set it down last night and laugh out loud for a minute over Catherine's exclamation to Mr. Tilney, "Your housekeeper is not really Dorothy!" a line that will crack me up no matter how many times I read it.

Streak two is Sheri S. Tepper. I recently finished Gibbon's Decline and Fall which I enjoyed even more than I had The Gate to Women's Country or A Plague of Angels. I'm not one hundred percent certain that I would always agree with her about everything, but her books leave such gracious space for that within them that I don't care.

Streak three has just begun so freshly that I am going to have to look up this author's name to get the next book because I've forgotten it already. The title of the first one was Death Comes as Epiphany and it is a murder mystery/romance set in the contemporary France of Heloise and Abelard. I think her name is Sharan Newman. The historic setting and plot aren't completely the way it was, I'm afraid, but interesting and vividly good enough a story for me not to care about that, either.

I will probably be reading books by these three women for a little while now.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton

Return to “Everything Else”