• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Horror Genre Appreciation Thread

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I like horror books more than movies, because my imagination is so much worse than a movie could ever be. I think that "I am Legend" was one of the few movies that made me cover my eyes in a long time (when he went after his dog in that dark and creepy building - yes...I have a dog) but psychological horror is very good and books that make you think and draw you into the horror are the best. Deliverance was a good "horror" story in my opinion because you could just feel the desperation in the guys' situation. H.P. Lovecraft created a nice suspension of disbelief with his insanity and bad dreams stories. Who is to say that those who are too insane to speak to us are not beset by evil visions from diabolical creatures below the sea?
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Nicely stated, Poettess

Unread post

I think movies try too hard and with the advent of CGI the audiance becomes jaded. I tried to make my novel live in the mind. We will see if it strikes a cord.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Someone was telling me about a book that takes on Pride and Prejudice with zombies! I love the idea of adding "and zombies" to the title of classic books. A writer should take this on! This kind of reminds me of adding "in bed" to fortune cookie fortunes! :laugh:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Poettess wrote:
psychological horror is very good and books that make you think and draw you into the horror are the best.
I agree! I think one of the scariest books I have ever read was "Lolita". Scary because how it was written. I remember thinking, "how dare that mother deprive him the opportunity to molest her daughter". Then it was, "wait a minute, that's disgusting"! Pretty scary! Yes, I confess, HH had me mezmorized for a while. Oh, the power of a great writer!

Suzanne
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I think one of the scariest books I have ever read was "Lolita".
Oh My Goodness Suzanne! I was also deeply disturbed by this book and yet strangely compelled to keep reading it. Nabokov did such a good job of creating his protagonist that its eery and creepy and altogether just plain wrong.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Lolita

Unread post

Hello Poettes:

"Lolita" is one of my favorite books, not for the subject matter, but for how it was written. Lolita is a great example of how characters will lie to sway you if they are retelling their story. HH was very persuasive, egotistical and smart (and funny, how could it be funny, but it was) and I do feel very depraved for sympathising with him (in the beginning), but are we not swayed by egotistical, smart and beautiful people?, who turn out to be monsters, like Dorian Gray! Another, great example, not such a great book, is "The Good Mother", Sue Miller I believe. Actually, I would put that one up there as physcological horror too, for the subject matter and readability, but it's the same premise.

Suzanne

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”