• In total there are 13 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

orangutan short circuited electrical wires to escape

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

orangutan short circuited electrical wires to escape

Unread post

Orangutan causes evacuation at Adelaide Zoo

AN “ingenious” 62 kilogram orangutan short circuited electrical wires and climbed a fence using a makeshift ladder in an aborted escape attempt from Adelaide Zoo today.

The elaborate plot by 27-year-old Karta got her to within metres of the public, and resulted in the closure of the zoo on one of its busiest days of the year.

(The rest of the article is at the site.)

Hah! de Waal is right.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Thanks for posting that, Mary! Gotta love it!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: orangutan short circuited electrical wires to escape

Unread post

Zoo curator Peter Whitehead said Karta had twisted a stick into hot wires that encircled her enclosure, short circuiting the wires and allowing her to enter a vegetated area near the concrete and glass fence that separated her from the public.

She then piled up sticks, grass and plant roots and used them to climb onto the fence.
Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting that Karta, the orangutan, had any understanding of electricity or the know-how to short-circuit the wiring so that she could escape. Probably this first step was an accident on Karta's part, allowing her to enter a previously restricted area where she was then able to climb the fence.

Just a thought! :D
-Geo
Question everything
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

geo - I think you're right about her not understanding electricity. But she almost certainly did understand that the fence would hurt if touched and since she is an ape, she thought to "attack" as we primates are wont to do. It just happened that the standard primate response (wack what you don't like) worked. I imagine many of our human inventions started out much the same.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Re: orangutan short circuited electrical wires to escape

Unread post

geo wrote:Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting that Karta, the orangutan, had any understanding of electricity or the know-how to short-circuit the wiring so that she could escape. . .
Animals can smell electricity, and Karta, I suppose, had been stung by it in the past.
Dogs’ noses are so sensitive that they can even smell electricity. While conducting an experiment, a researcher found that a dog could smell which of two compartments contained an electric current. He concluded this was because the charge resulted in the release of tiny amounts of ozone which the dog could detect.
http://knol.google.com/k/garry-jenkins/ ... n1ywaolr/8#
The Real Macai

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I love primates. They're such clever little shits.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

LOL, Macai! :laugh:

Return to “Current Events & History”