• In total there are 17 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Edited by Chris O'Connor

While I applaud your ingenuity and creativity I have to ask you to not share your sexual conquests with the community. It does sound like you had a lovely evening.
:shock:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Wow, I can't believe this post didn't get deleted... heheh. I love this website!!!!
opcode
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Fiction is generally easier for me to read, authors like Tom Clancy or John Grisham, but fiction makes me feel lazy. What I mean is this... our country is in dire straights right now and there's a lot I don't know when watching the news. I've been trying to educate myself on what we called "civics" 100 years ago. I read a lot about the constitution and law, the history of the middle east conflicts, the civil rights era etc. I feel like a patriot and responsible citizen should be educated on what's right, wrong and generally going on with his country. I'm not a zealot or anything, pretty moderate, but I have kids and when they ask me why Israel is bombing Gaza or why they always say "you have the right to remain silent" on police shows, i want to give them an actual answer and not just blow it off... so, non-fiction it is, lately.
bobby408
Gaining experience

Unread post

I definitely enjoy NON-Fiction more. However, this might be biased because I have no read much fiction, about 4 books in all. Due to an inflamed desire and motivation to learn about the world for the purpose of bring about change, the only books that help me do this are non-fiction books that teach me about how the world was and is.
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

I'm mainly interested in fiction (both in reading and in writing) but I've been reading more nonfiction recently. It really depends now if the book grabs my attention or not.
Rancher
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Non Fiction.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction vs non

Unread post

I think good fiction actually makes you think. While non fiction is interesting, and provides knowledge, non fiction gives you the facts. Whereas in fiction, good fiction, the reader must decipher the information.

Also, many writers of fiction are very consious of current events and incorporate them into their works of fiction. "The Road", Cormac McCarthy, makes the reader think about the devastation that might have occured after 9/11. "Slumdog millionaire" shows a graphic dipiction of the dire straits of the "untouchables" in India.

Suzanne[/quote]
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

I definitely LOVE fiction books :in_love: but I also love to read non-fiction books especially when the books are about occult stuff, archaeological finds, mysteries of the world, history of the world, writing fiction, etc.

Sometimes I turn to fiction when I need to feel something - or want to experience and know something indirectly. Sometimes I can better understand an aspect about life when it comes in the form of fiction.

I guess it just really depends. :hmm:
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

It has to be fiction for me. I definitely read more fiction books and I believe the experience that comes from reading a really good fiction book cannot come from a non-fiction one. I suppose it has to do with experiencing art? It's something more than gaining new knowledge, it's a fantastic combination of thoughts and feelings at the same time, that somehow synergistically combine into a whole that far exceeds the sum of them? I suppose other people might feel like that with music or paintings or theatre or anything else, but for me is books.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Although I do enjoy the increased knowledge from reading Non-Fiction, a book without the spice, drama and mystery from a fiction book just isn't complete. I do not want to read a book that tells me, I want to read a book that shows me. I have a mind for detail, if I am read a book with nothing but facts, sure, i'll learn a lot, but did I enjoy it? :whistle:

All in all, fiction is better in my opinion :clap:

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”