• In total there are 16 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
softmachine

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Unread post

Has anyone read this? I've just finished it and have to say that it is one of the funniest, eye-opening and scary books I've ever read.

For fans of the truth, I would say.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben ... piredso-21
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Unread post

softmachine wrote:Has anyone read this? I've just finished it and have to say that it is one of the funniest, eye-opening and scary books I've ever read.

For fans of the truth, I would say.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben ... piredso-21
Hi soft,

Do you have an affiliation with the author or publishing company? I'm always skeptical when a new member comes on here and tries to promote a book. It's okay if you do have a connection, but I think it should be declared in the interest of honesty.

That said, I heard an interview with Goldacre on the Skeptic's Guide podcast and it does sound like a very interesting book.
-Geo
Question everything
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I haven't read the book, but I read Ben Goldacre's column in Saturday's Guardian and he is great! Critical and informative. Something that is missing from the media.
And no, I have no conflict of interest to declare.

Kal
Lois
Master Debater

Unread post

I haven’t read this book either. But, I am going to come right out and say that I have self published a book on this same topic … bad science. The book I have published is a collection of my late brother’s (Robert J. Schadewald) writings, he was a science writer who specialized in debunking pseudosciences. His areas of expertise were
1. Alternative cosmologies (Velikovsky and flat Earth belief are the two that are included in this book)
2. Exposing perpetual motion schemes
3. Writing about Creationist belief ... he also participated in a few debates with Creationists

These four areas are the ones covered in this book. It is titled “Worlds of Their Own, A Brief History of Misguided Ideas: Creationism, Flat-Earthism, Energy Scams and the Velikovsky Affair”

Bob was considered an expert in these above areas. This book is made up of some previously published articles and some never published writings. The web site for it is worldsoftheirown.com
Anyone interested can get a more complete idea of what the book is from there. Also, I would love to talk about it here with anyone if they are interested to do that.

I haven’t posted onto this site very much, but I did join because it seemed that many of the people that are in this group would be interested in reading this book and I wanted to be able to present it. Frankly, I just don’t know how … and so I am taking a stab at it now.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”