• In total there are 27 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Ashleigh wrote:
A book on Forensic Psychology for writers.
This sounds very provacative. What is the name of it? Can I ask you why you choose it?
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

The title is The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psyhcology by Katherine Ramsland

I chose it because I thought it might give me some aid in some aspects of my crime novels, mainly it is helping with my bad guy and his supposed mental state - he is very scary! Well, at least the guy in books 1 - 3. I still need to work out the bad guys in 4 and 5 but it will help there too!
Books are my life
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Ashleigh:

So you are a writer of crime novels, very exciting. I am always interested in members who are authors. Do you have anything published?

I applaud you for doing research, sounds like you are giving your "bad guys" some depth.

Good luck to you!
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Yes I do write Crime, and no, nothing published yet, but my project is in the drafting stages and I hope it will get published.

I enjoy doing the research - granted the policing stuff is mainly from watching crime shows at the moment, but that is just mainly to get how to write an interview; I can access the legal info I need through legal databases and such for Australia, which helps.

And thank you - I need it cause book three is giving me a hell of a time! I can't work out what to write next!
Books are my life
imthemary
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Currently I'm reading Diary by Chuck Palahniuk because my cousin recommended it to me and also Socrates in Love: Philosophy for a Die-Hard Romantic by Christopher Phillips to help with English 101.
getshorty
Master Debater

Unread post

I just finished an incredibly pleasant and charming book; "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. It was written in 1948 and tells the story of a very poor family living in an abandoned castle in England. The narration is superb, the heroine a 17 year old girl.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Enid Blyton the Biography by Barbara Stoney. I went to a lot of trouble to get this book!
Books are my life
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Trying to get thoroughly into William Faulkner. I thought about reading him again because I'd read a few by Cormac McCarthy, who is sometimes compared to Faulkner (that's some company). Faulkner is known for being intimidating, but this is not a deserved reputation even though his writing can make heavy demands on the reader's attention. That must be why I mainly avoided him for so many years. I'm usually in awe of his power as a writer, how deeply he can penetrate with seeming effortlessness. I'm reading three short novels now, one of which is "The Bear." The only other one of his I've read is Light in August, which I'll re-read. If anyone else is interested in reading Faulkner, too, just let me know.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

I'm re-reading Heidi now. Going through a major kids lit phase at the moment, even though my thesis focus is the Famous Five, I'm devouring as much kids lit as possible. *Desperately wants Inkspell!*
Books are my life
Aussie_Lifter
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

DWill:

If you're interested in Faulkner, I'd recommend As I Lay Dying.

Haven't read any of his other work, so would be interested in how the short stories are.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”